Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole is an easy casserole recipe the entire family will love! Dairy free, gluten free, Paleo, and Whole30, this is healthy comfort food at its finest!
This post was updated with new photos and copy on October 2nd, 2021.
This Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole might be one of my new favorite recipes! I used a combination of garlic, cashews, and coconut milk to create a creamy, Alfredo-like sauce without any dairy! In this recipe, you’ll find out how to cut spaghetti squash, how to cook spaghetti squash, and how to use this low carb veggie in a delicious casserole.
Sausage: You can either make your own using ground pork (I love to get my heritage breed pork delivered to my doorstep from Butcher Box!) or use store-bought Italian sausage (Butcher Box also has sugar free Whole30 compliant Italian sausage!). If making your own sausage, you’ll need fennel seed, ground sage, thyme, white pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, all spice.
Kale: If you aren’t a fan of kale, you can sub in spinach or your favorite greens!
How to Make Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- First, preheat your oven to 400.
- Wondering how to cut spaghetti squash? This is personally just how I like to to cut a spaghetti squash, I like to cut it in half horizontally. This is the opposite of how most people do it! It creates longer “spaghetti-like” strands this way! Scoop out the seeds and lay both halves cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of the squash you may need more time – you’ll know it’s done when you can easily pierce it with a fork!).
- Meanwhile, make the sausage. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add all sausage ingredients. Stir/cook for 5-7 minutes until browned and cooked through. Drain the fat. Add the kale and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until it begins to wilt. Set the pan aside.
- Make the creamy dairy free garlic sauce: Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until it is very creamy. The cashews do not need to be soaked beforehand, unless you do not have a high-speed blender.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and use a fork to remove the strands. Add the squash and the garlic sauce to the pan with the sausage and kale. Mix it well. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 15 minutes, or until the sides and bubbling and it’s warmed through. Serve and enjoy!
Mary’s Tips & Tricks
Protein: You can use ground chicken or ground turkey instead of pork.
More Spice: For extra heat, simply use an extra few dashes of red pepper flakes! On the flip side, to make this less spicy, omit the crushed red pepper or add slightly less.
Nut-Free: Unfortunately the cashews help to make this creamy garlic sauce super creamy without the dairy. I haven’t tested it with any nut free substitutions.
How many carbs in a spaghetti squash? Spaghetti squash is an excellent, low-carb substitute for pasta. A whole spaghetti squash has about 10 total grams of carbs. If you are wondering if spaghetti squash is keto, the answer is yes! Because it has about 2 grams of fiber, the net carbs for a whole spaghetti squash is 8 grams!
Is this a vegan spaghetti squash recipe? This recipe is not vegan due to the sausage, however, simply remove the animal protein from this recipe and it is vegan!
Looking for More Spaghetti Squash Recipes? Check These Out!
As always, if you make this recipe and love it, it would mean the world to me if you could give it 5 stars and leave a review on the blog!
Pin This Recipe!
This page contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Sausage (If making your own)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp white pepper, black is fine if you don't have it
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp all spice
Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, Coconut milk separates in the can, so make sure to whisk it well before measuring!
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 4 cups kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Cut your squash in half (I like to cut it in half horizontally which is different than how most people do it, but it creates longer "spaghetti" strands this way!) Scoop out the seeds and lay both halves cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of the squash).
- Meanwhile, make the sausage: Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and add all sausage ingredients. Stir/cook for 5-7 minutes until browned and cooked through. Drain fat. Add the kale and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until it begins to wilt. Set the pan aside.
- Make the creamy garlic sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until very creamy. The cashews do not need to be soaked beforehand.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and use a fork to remove the strands. Add the squash and the garlic sauce to the pan with the sausage and kale. Mix well. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until sides are bubbling and it's warmed through. Serve and enjoy!