Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls
A healthier twist on the childhood classic – These Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls come together in 30 minutes or less. It’s a delicious meal the entire family will love!
I absolutely love re-creating childhood favorites and giving them a Whole30/real food spin! Sloppy Joes used to be one of my favorite things when I was little. The sweet and savory combination of heart meat & sauce served on a nice soft bun was just TOO GOOD. Turns out it’s still pretty good when you remove the crap ingredients and serve it with some nutrient dense veggies, too! 🙂 I like this version because it uses ingredients that you most likely already have in your fridge and pantry.
This is also a great meal for this crazy back to school season we are about to enter. It comes together in 30 minutes or less, so you can easily make it on busy weeknights.
You can feel free to get creative with these Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls. Serve them like I did here with some spaghetti squash and roasted broccoli, or you can omit the squash (or add zoodles) for Keto. You can also serve this over regular or gluten free pasta (but obviously it will no longer be Whole30 friendly.) Jovial Foods gluten free or grain free pasta is my favorite. Basically what I’m saying is that you can choose your own adventure!
What Ingredients do I need to make these Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls?
- Ground beef
- Red onion
- tomato paste
- tomato or marinara sauce – I like to get Rao’s Homemade brand from Costco.
- coconut aminos
- dijon mustard
- hot sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 large spaghetti squash or two smaller ones
- 16 oz package broccoli florets
That’s it! You probably have most of these ingredients in your fridge and pantry already.
How do I make the spaghetti squash?
This is my tried and true method for making spaghetti squash in the oven. It always turned out perfect without being overcooked or mushy. You can use an Instant Pot or another method if you want – totally up to you!
I cut the squash in half horizontally (not long ways as it’s traditionally cut), and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400 for 35 minutes. That’s it!
How do I make the broccoli?
For the broccoli, I tossed 16 oz of florets with 1 tbsp olive oil + some sea salt and pepper. Use your fingertips to rub the oil into the florets. Spread out evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast at 415 for 12 minutes. Perfect every time!
Where should I get my meat for these Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls?
Lastly, if you’re looking for the BEST quality grass-fed beef, I love getting mine from Butcher Box! It’s a meat delivery service where you can choose a combination of wild caught salmon, grass fed beef, heritage breed pork, and organic chicken to be delivered to your doorstep. Makes like a lot easier for this busy mama!
It’s so important to look for quality beef and meat in general. We are what we eat! We don’t want to be eating meat from cows that have been pumped with hormones and fed an unhealthy diet. They currently have a free ground beef for life promo where you can get 2 lbs of grass-fed ground beef in every box for the life of your membership! Click HERE to grab it through September 27th or while supplies last.
Can I freeze it?
Yes! But only freeze the Sloppy Joe meat portion – not the spaghetti squash or the broccoli. You can make those whenever you’re ready to serve the sloppy joes!
What else can I make with ground beef or ground pork?
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use my link to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb grassfed ground beef
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup compliant tomato or marinara sauce , I like Rao's Homemade
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 16 oz package broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400. Cut a large spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at for 35 minutes. Use a fork to remove the spaghetti strands and serve with the Sloppy Joe mixture and broccoli.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add in ground beef and stir until browned and cooked through, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in remaining Sloppy Joe ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until ready to serve.
- Mix the florets, oil, and salt well with your hands. Spread out evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet and add to the oven when the squash has about 13-14 minutes left. Serve with the Sloppy Joe mixture and squash! Enjoy!