Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all of the flavors of the classic comfort food casserole! It’s dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and Whole30. I’ve included a Keto option, as well!
I’m all about the comfort foods right now, and this Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup might just be my new favorite! It’s creamy and delicious, and the leftovers are even better the next day. I realize not everyone has an Instant Pot, so I have included stove top directions below, as well!
If you are trying to keep things low carb or Keto, you can simply omit the potatoes. This soup will still be delicious!
What You Need to Make Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
- Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups diced potato (one large or two small)
- frozen cut green beans
- chicken broth
- Sherry (omit for Whole30)
- dried sage
- raw, unsalted cashews – I like to get these from Trader Joe’s.
The not-so-secret ingredient that gives this soup the creamy factor without the dairy is CASHEWS (raw, unsalted). A simple cashew cream is made from combining 1 cup of soaked (and drained) cashews with 1/2 cup of water in the blender, and blending on high until extremely thick and creamy (about 1 minute). If you aren’t able to have cashews, you can sub in 1 cup of coconut cream (or just use the thickened part on the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk).
For the chicken, I always get organic chicken breasts in my monthly Butcher Box! I love the convenience factor of having it delivered to my doorstep. It’s also nice to only have to worry about getting produce when I go shopping!
The sherry is optional, but I think it gives this soup really great flavor.
Do You Have to Soak the Cashews Before Making This Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
If you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, you don’t need to soak the cashews. However it will definitely help to get your cashew cream nice and creamy without any chunks. When in doubt, soak them first! But it’s not a big deal if you don’t have time or you forget.
How to make This Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi
A while back I shared that I subbed the potatoes and instead used Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi in this soup. It tastes exactly like chicken and dumplings! The gnocchi are soft and pillowy and so good in this soup. If you want to try this method, simply add them at the same time as the cashew cream at the end! Stir and let them cook on “saute” mode for 2-3 minutes until they’re heated through.
While the ingredients for the gnocchi are Whole30 friendly, they would definitely be considered SWYPO for anyone doing a true round of Whole30! Use your best judgement and do what works best for you.
This soup makes amazing leftovers, as well!
Other Fall Recipe Ideas
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I truly use and love. Thanks for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 large russett potato (or 2 small - should be about 2 cups diced), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp sherry cooking wine, omit for Whole30
- 1.5 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cashew Cream * (see nut free option below)
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- pressure cooker
- Add cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them soak while you chop your veggies and prep the soup.
- Hit the "saute" button on your Instant Pot. Add in the tbsp of cooking fat (ghee or olive oil). Add in the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces, potatoes, green beans, chicken broth, sherry, and spices/herbs. Give everything a good stir. Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on "manual" high pressure for 12 minutes.
- While it's coming to pressure, make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with 1/2 cup of water. Blend on high for 1 minute or until VERY thick and creamy.
- Once the soup is done, manually release the pressure. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. It should be very tender! Add in the cashew cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!
- Heat cooking fat in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften. Add in remaining soup ingredients (except cashew cream). Stir. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes until vegetables have softened and chicken is cooked through. While it's simmering, make your cashew cream using directions above. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. Add your cashew cream and stir. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!
Cauliflower Gnocchi Instructions
- You can sub a bag of Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi instead of potatoes for more of a chicken and dumplings type soup! Simply add the bag of frozen gnocchi to the pot after shredding the chicken. Cook it on saute function in the Instant pot for 3-4 minutes or until it's heated through (or for a few minutes for stove top). Serve and enjoy!