A healthier version of the classic spicy, flavorful beef dish made with au jus & ranch seasonings, butter and pepperocinis! This Paleo Mississippi Pot Roast is made with real ingredients and it’s gluten free, dairy free, and Paleo.
Mississippi Pot Roast used to be one of my most favorite meals! It is SO tasty and flavorful. Normally this meal is made with 5 simple ingredients: chuck roast, butter, Hidden Valley Ranch packet, Au Jus packet, and pepperocinis. Ever since I was diagnosed with Celiac, I’ve learned that gluten can hide in tons of stuff…including spice packets! Unfortunately the ingredients in the McCormick Au Jus packet go beyond gluten. It’s actually filled with a bunch of nasty stuff:
The ranch packet has MSG among some other not-so-great ingredients. Point being, I pretty much figured I would never be able to eat this delicious meal again. But I figured out a way to make it using real ingredients, and I am so excited!
Is this meal Whole30 compliant?
It sure is IF you can find the right peppers! The reason I didn’t name this with Whole30 in the title is mainly because of the pepperocinis. There are only 2 brands (that I’ve come across) that are compliant. Davina brand can be found on Thrive Market, and Jeff’s Naturals can be found at Whole Foods! Most other brands I’ve looked at have Sodium Bisulfite or Metabisulfite, which are non-compliant preservatives.
I served this over my Creamy Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes and it was to die for!! You have the option to make a gravy at the end by bringing some of the juices/broth to a boil and adding in a slurry of water + arrowroot powder. Either way, it has a TON of flavor! If you’re doing Keto or worried about carbs, you can serve it over cauliflower mash. (I have a great recipe as part of my Whole30 Shrimp & Grits!)
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you purchase something using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Paleo Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker
- 1 3 lb chuck roast
- 1/2 cup beef broth check labels to ensure it's paleo or Whole30 if doing one!
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 8 pepperocinis
- 1 cup juices from the slow cooker once meat is done
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Place chuck roast in slow cooker. Pour beef broth over top. Sprinkle all seasonings on top of the meat. Place the ghee on top of the meat in 3 spoonfuls. Place the pepperocinis on and around the beef.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4-5 hours). Transfer beef from the slow cooker to a cutting board and shred using two forks.
- If making the gravy*, heat 1 cup of the juices in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Mix the water and arrowroot together in a small bowl to create a slurry. When the beef juices come to a boil, stir in the slurry. Heat over medium low and stir until desired level of thickness is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve the beef over mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash and pour gravy over top. Enjoy!