This Sausage & Fennel Pasta with Mushrooms & Spinach is a delicious, quick, and easy skillet meal. It is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and soy free. Perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining a crowd!
Pasta has always been my favorite food. Give me a big bowl of pasta with any type of sauce, and I’m a happy girl! This Sausage & Fennel Pasta with Mushrooms & Spinach is one of my new favorite dishes. It is incredibly easy to make, has minimal ingredients, and comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s simple enough for a busy weeknight, yet fancy enough for a dinner party.
I’m not a big licorice person, so I don’t usually cook with fennel. However, I’m obsessed with the flavor it brings to this dish when it’s sautéed with everything. Trust me when I say it makes the dish! I used gluten free pasta, but you are more than welcome to use regular pasta if you don’t need to be gluten free.
What ingredients do I need to make this Sausage & Fennel Pasta with Mushrooms & Spinach?
- Pasta – I love Jovial Foods gluten free pasta. It is the only brand I’ve found (and I’ve tried A LOT) that actually tastes like real pasta! It’s made from 100% brown rice, without corn or any other additives. I usually find it at Giant, Wegman’s, Whole Foods, or Thrive Market. You can get 25% off your first order using any of the links here! I used the Tagliatelle for this recipe.
- Italian Sausage – I usually look for sugar free if possible. Roma makes a great Italian Sausage with relatively clean ingredients here locally. Any Italian Sausage will work, though! You will just need to remove it from the casings if you can’t find ground sausage.
- Mushrooms – any type will work!
- Spinach – I use organic baby spinach
- Garlic – I used pre-minced garlic from Costco.
- Chicken broth – I love the Kirkland brand of Chicken Stock – it is sugar free and gluten free. Bonafide provisions and Kettle & Fire also make great clean chicken broth!
- Full fat coconut milk – I prefer Native Forest brand. I’ve found that the Trader Joe’s coconut milk (& cream) taste a lot more “coconutty” than other brands – just FYI!
This would also be delicious with Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi!
If you make this dish, be sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife!
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you use my link to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Sausage & Fennel Pasta with Mushrooms & Spinach
- 1 box Jovial Foods gluten free Tagliatelle or pasta of choice
- 1 lb Italian Sausage casings removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb coarsely chopped, fronds removed
- 2 cups raw baby spinach
- 8 oz mushrooms cremini or white
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk whisked before measuring
- 1/2 tsp sea salt more or less to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, sausage, garlic and mushrooms. Saute until the sausage is browned and cooked through and the fennel and mushrooms have softened, approximately 7-8 minutes. Add in chicken broth, stir, and let it simmer until the pasta is done.
- Add in spinach and stir 1-2 minutes until wilted. Stir in the coconut milk. Add in drained pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve with parsley if desired. Enjoy!