You guys, I think this Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole may be one of my new favorite recipes. I wasn’t even planning on recipe testing (or cooking in general) today, but I had a spaghetti squash that I needed to use up, so I was trying to think of fun ideas. I got some pork and kale at Trader Joe’s today, and decided all 3 together would be tasty, but…it needed a sauce. Enter: dairy free creamy garlic sauce! I used a combination of garlic, cashews, and coconut milk to create an Alfredo-like sauce without any dairy. And it’s so delicious, if I do say so myself!
Thursdays are our busiest day of the week, so I was not expecting to make dinner (we usually get Chipotle), nevermind photograph it during daylight hours before dance class tonight. Gotta love when things work out like that! This took about 1 hour total to make (cooking time-wise), since you have to bake the spaghetti squash first. You could always prep that and cook the sausage ahead of time and make the sauce/bake the casserole later.
You can use any type of sausage you want for this recipe, or make your own using the instructions below (it’s super easy – promise!). It would be great with turkey, as well. If you’re doing Whole30, just make sure to look for sugar-free sausage. Butcher Box has amazing sausage!
Ok, so add this Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole to your meal plan for next week, mmk?! And as always, if you make something and love it, it would mean the world to me if you could give it 5 stars and leave a review on the blog!
This page contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Sausage (If making your own)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp white pepper black is fine if you don't have it
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp all spice
Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk Coconut milk separates in the can, so make sure to whisk it well before measuring!
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 4 cups kale stems removed, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Cut your squash in half (I like to cut it in half horizontally which is different than how most people do it, but it creates longer "spaghetti" strands this way!) Scoop out the seeds and lay both halves cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of the squash).
- Meanwhile, make the sausage: Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and add all sausage ingredients. Stir/cook for 5-7 minutes until browned and cooked through. Drain fat. Add the kale and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until it begins to wilt. Set the pan aside.
- Make the creamy garlic sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until very creamy. The cashews do not need to be soaked beforehand.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and use a fork to remove the strands. Add the squash and the garlic sauce to the pan with the sausage and kale. Mix well. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until sides are bubbling and it's warmed through. Serve and enjoy!