Easy Gluten Free Risotto with Peas
This gluten free risotto with peas is an easy Instant Pot recipe that takes a fraction of the time to make, yet tastes like traditional, decadent risotto! Dairy free risotto option included!
Updated with new copy on May 10, 2022!
What Makes This Recipe Great
I absolutely love making risotto, but let’s be honest, it’s quite time-consuming! Traditional risotto requires a solid 30 minutes of standing over the stove and stirring constantly. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
This Instant Pot version is super simple and takes literally 15 minutes total, with just 5 minutes of hands-on time! You’d never know that I didn’t spend half the afternoon stirring and pouring! This easy gluten free risotto is a recipe you’ll love to make, and the whole family will love to eat. Win-win!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this gluten free risotto! See the full ingredient list in the recipe card below.
Arborio Rice: This is naturally gluten-free Italian rice that makes incredible dishes like indulgent risotto, seasonal arancini appetizers, or rich rice pudding. You can find it at most grocery stores!
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese: You can also use Kite Hill dairy-free cream cheese to make this dairy free risotto.
Recipe Step by Step
- Heat the Instant Pot on saute mode. Melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add the rice and stir it to coat. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and salt and stir well. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Quick-release the steam and open the lid. Stir in the peas and parmesan (or Kite Hill cream cheese), and serve with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Mary’s Tips & Tricks
Extra Veggies: You could also add in some mushrooms- simply sauté them with the onion first!
Dairy Free Risotto: You can also use Kite Hill dairy-free cream cheese to make this dairy free risotto.
Adding Protein: Feel free to add cooked chicken or bacon to this risotto for extra protein!
How to Serve: I love to pair this risotto with my Lemon Butter Sea Bass recipe! The best combo!
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat over the stove or in the microwave.
Good question. I have the 6 qt duo and it’s worked perfectly for all of my recipes. We have a family of 5 and it always holds enough food. That being said, if you have a larger family to feed, you may want to go up to the next size!
If you follow the recipe as is, it’s not vegan. However, with a few swaps, it’s super easy to make this vegan and dairy free risotto! Simply swap the butter for vegan butter, the parmesan cheese for dairy free cream cheese, or a vegan parmesan cheese alternative, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth!
The rice used for risotto is naturally gluten free, however, you need to make sure that all the other ingredients used are gluten free as well!
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you try this gluten free risotto and love it, a 5-star rating & review below would mean the world. And don’t forget to share what you make on Instagram and tag me! Happy Cooking 🙂
Recipe by Mary’s Whole Life, Photos by Casey from The Mindful Hapa
Easy Gluten Free Risotto with Peas | Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth, sub veggie broth for vegetarian or vegan
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt, more to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese, or sub 1/3 cup Kite Hill cream cheese for dairy free or omit completely if preferred
- 1 cup frozen or canned peas, thawed/drained
- Heat the instant pot on saute mode. Melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-7 mins.
- Add in the rice and stir to coat. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and salt and stir well. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Quick release the steam and open the lid. Stir in the peas and parmesan (or Kite Hill cream cheese), and serve with fresh chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!