Easy Instant Pot Risotto with Peas
This Easy Instant Pot Risotto with Peas takes a fraction of the time to make, yet tastes like traditional, decadent risotto! I’ve included a dairy free option. This recipe is gluten free and delicious with any protein (or on its own!)
I absolutely love making risotto, but let’s be honest – it’s quite time consuming! Traditional risotto requires a solid 30 minutes of standing at the stove and stirring. Ain’t nobody got time for that! But no worries – this Instant Pot version is super simple and takes literally 15 minutes total. With just 5 minutes of hands-on time! You’d never know that I didn’t spend half the afternoon stirring and pouring 🙂
What You Need To Make This Easy Instant Pot Risotto with Peas
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The main one is arborio rice. It is naturally gluten free Italian rice which makes incredible dishes like indulgent risotto, seasonal arancini appetizers, or rich rice pudding. You can find it at most grocery stores!
You’ll also need:
Fresh grated parmesan cheese – or you can use Kite Hill dairy free cream cheese to make this dairy free
Frozen or canned peas
That’s it! You could also add in some mushrooms – simply sauté them with the onion first!
What Type of Instant Pot Should I Buy?
Good question. I have the 6 qt duo and it’s worked perfectly for all of my recipes. We have a family of 5 and it always holds enough food. That being said, if you have a larger family to feed, you may want to go up to the next size!
How To Make This Easy Instant Pot Risotto
Heat the instant pot on saute mode. Melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes. Next, add in the rice and stir it to coat. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and salt and stir well. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release the steam and open the lid. Stir in the peas and parmesan (or Kite Hill cream cheese), and serve with fresh chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Looking for some other delicious Instant Pot Recipes? Check these out!
I also love to pair this risotto with my Lemon Butter Sea Bass recipe! The best combo!
If you try this Risotto and love it, a 5-star rating & review below would mean the world. And don’t forget to share what you make on Instagram and tag me! Happy Cooking 🙂
Recipe by Mary’s Whole Life, Photos by Casey from The Mindful Hapa
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Easy Instant Pot Risotto with Peas
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, sub veggie broth for vegetarian or vegan
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, or sub 1/3 cup Kite Hill cream cheese for dairy free or omit completely if preferred
- 1 cup frozen or canned peas, thawed/drained
- Instant Pot
- Heat the instant pot on saute mode. Melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-7 mins.
- Add in the rice and stir to coat. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and salt and stir well. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Quick release the steam and open the lid. Stir in the peas and parmesan (or Kite Hill cream cheese), and serve with fresh chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!