This Whole30 Meatball Stroganoff is a delicious gluten free and dairy free version of the classic childhood favorite! It comes together in 30 minutes or less and is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Stroganoff is one of my all-time favorite meals! Nothing screams comfort food like a big bowl of egg noodles topped with beef stroganoff. I thought it would be fun to create a better-for-you version using real food ingredients. The sauce in these Whole30 Meatballs Stroganoff is made from a combination of coconut milk and cashews. I am a huge fan of dairy free sauces made with blended cashews. They truly make the best creamy concoctions that actually taste like the real thing!
Let’s chat ingredients:
I always get my ground beef from Butcher Box. I love the convenience of having high-quality meat delivered to my doorstep! For the cashews, I typically buy them in bulk at Costco or at Trader Joe’s. For the coconut milk, it’s important to use full-fat and to blend it or whisk well before measuring. It can separate in the can and the thick part migrates to the top! If you can’t have cashews, you can just use coconut milk. It won’t be quite as creamy, but it will still be delicious.
For the broth, you can use either beef broth or chicken broth. It can be tricky to find Whole30 compliant beef broth, but I really like Kettle & Fire Brand!
If you are doing a Whole30, you can omit the sherry in this recipe. However, it really adds some great flavor!
When you make this Whole30 Meatball Stroganoff, make sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife! And if you’re looking for some other delicious meatball recipes, check out my Prosciutto Meatballs or Everything Avocado Meatballs!
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Meatball Stroganoff
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms white or cremini
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp sherry cooking wine omit for Whole30
- 1.5 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk stirred/whisked before measuring because it separates in the can
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish - optional
- Add cashews to a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them soak while you start cooking.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well using your hands. Form into 2 inch balls. You should have 11-12 meatballs total.
- Heat the tbsp of oil in a cast iron or other large skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook 3-4 minutes until browned on all sides (but not cooked through). Remove them from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add onions, mushrooms, and garlic (and more oil if there isn't enough grease from the meatballs). Saute for 3-4 minutes until onions become translucent, mushrooms begin to soften, and garlic is fragrant. Pour in the sherry and stir, using a spoon to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the meatballs back into the pan. Pour in the broth, then cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- While the meatballs are simmering, make the "sour cream". Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with the 1/2 cup coconut milk and lemon juice. Blend for 1 minute or until very thick and creamy.
- Stir the "sour cream" into the pan with the meatballs along with the salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer until thickened. Stir until all lumps are gone and you have a smooth, creamy sauce. Taste test and add more salt if needed. Serve over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or gluten free pasta and top with parsley, if desired. Enjoy!