Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
This Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is the easiest method for making the perfect shredded Mexican chicken! It is Paleo, Keto, and Gluten Free. I’ve included slow cooker directions, as well!
Whenever I don’t have a plan for dinner but we have chicken to use, I always turn to this Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken! It has very minimal ingredients, which is why I guess I never put it on the blog. It almost feels silly to call it a “recipe” because it is so simple! There is no sautéing or chopping involved. All you need to do is place the salsa into your Instant Pot, followed by the chicken breasts and spices, and press a button. Then shred and serve!
This shredded verde chicken is amazing in Chipotle-style bowls, in tacos, or on top of nachos. This recipe would be so perfect for Cinco de Mayo! For the nachos pictured, I used Siete Foods Grain Free Tortilla Chips, Good Foods Plant Based Queso, lactose free sour cream, guacamole, black olives, cilantro, jalapeños, and tomatoes in addition to the shredded chicken. It was amazing!
What Ingredients do I need to make this Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken?
- Chicken (you can use breasts or boneless skinless thighs – I prefer breasts!)
- Salsa Verde (or any type of salsa will work- I get the Salsa Verde at Trader Joe’s! It is a 12 oz jar.)
- Spices – cumin, garlic powder, and salt.
If you want to make this into a delicious Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken, stir in 1/2 a container of Kite Hill Cream Cheese after shredding the chicken! You could also add in some cooked cauliflower rice with the cream cheese to make a delicious Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole.
This is the Instant Pot I’ve had for 2 years and absolutely LOVE. It is the most-used kitchen appliance we own!
If you make this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram at @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
Looking for some other delicious Whole30 Instant Pot recipes? Check out my Instant Pot No Bean Chili, Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip, or Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you use my links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, or boneless skinless thighs
- 1 12 oz jar salsa verde (or any type of salsa), I get mine at Trader Joe's
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 oz Kite Hill cream cheese, optional - this is for a creamy version!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Pour the jar of salsa into the Instant Pot to cover the bottom. Place the chicken breasts on top (do not overlap). Spoon some of the salsa on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the spices on top of the chicken. Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure, then shred the chicken using 2 forks (or a stand mixer).
- Serve in tacos, in Chipotle-style bowls with cauliflower rice and desired toppings, or on top of nachos!
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Pour the jar of salsa on top, followed by the spices. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken using two forks.
15 Comments on “Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken”
So good! My whole family loves this dish. It’s my go to meal one a weekend when I need a quick and good meal. We often add it to a burrito.
This is my fave recipe and a staple. Want to pass this along to a friend but she doesn’t have an instant pot. How would you suggest doing with a slow cooker?
Hi! Just add everything in and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 then shred!
So easy and delicious!! We used for tacos last night and just used the leftover chicken to make some tasty nachos.
Thanks, Laura! Glad you enjoyed them!
HOLY WOW. This was amazing. Didn’t have cream cheese (of any kind), so skipped that and it still turned out amazeballs. Holy moly this was soo good and we are so excited for leftovers. A great busy weeknight meal, but will absolutely be added to our weekly lunch meal prep rotation.
Such a simple, amazing meal! I can tell this will definitely be on repeat at my house! Thank you!
This was so good, thank you!!!
Making this tonight! But I dont see the cream cheese listed in the directions?
Hi! Sorry for the delay – the cream cheese is an optional add-in mentioned in the blog post if you want to make it creamy! It’s great with or without it 🙂
I made this in the slow cooker – talk about set it and forget it!! Once done, it took 10 minutes to shred the chicken on the crockpot using a hand mixer. The end result is flavorful and tender shredded chicken that can be used in a plethora of ways. A+
So glad you enjoyed it, Jenna! Thanks!
This was the PERFECT way to celebrate Taco Tuesday. The flavors here are wonderful – I was actually surprised at the depth of flavor! Super easy to make, nice & affordable, too! We used chicken thighs as that’s what we had on hand. We made both the nachos & rolled the chicken into Siete tortillas for flautas. Thank you so much, Mary! This one was another huge hit in our house!!!
That sounds amazing! Thanks so much Lanier!