This Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is the easiest method for making the perfect shredded Mexican chicken! It is Paleo, Keto, and Gluten Free. I’ve included slow cooker directions, as well!
Whenever I don’t have a plan for dinner but we have chicken to use, I always turn to this Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken! It has very minimal ingredients, which is why I guess I never put it on the blog. It almost feels silly to call it a “recipe” because it is so simple! There is no sautéing or chopping involved. All you need to do is place the salsa into your Instant Pot, followed by the chicken breasts and spices, and press a button. Then shred and serve!
This shredded verde chicken is amazing in Chipotle-style bowls, in tacos, or on top of nachos. This recipe would be so perfect for Cinco de Mayo! For the nachos pictured, I used Siete Foods Grain Free Tortilla Chips, Good Foods Plant Based Queso, lactose free sour cream, guacamole, black olives, cilantro, jalapeños, and tomatoes in addition to the shredded chicken. It was amazing!
What Ingredients do I need to make this Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken?
- Chicken (you can use breasts or boneless skinless thighs – I prefer breasts!)
- Salsa Verde (or any type of salsa will work- I get the Salsa Verde at Trader Joe’s! It is a 12 oz jar.)
- Spices – cumin, garlic powder, and salt.
If you want to make this into a delicious Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken, stir in 1/2 a container of Kite Hill Cream Cheese after shredding the chicken! You could also add in some cooked cauliflower rice with the cream cheese to make a delicious Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole.
This is the Instant Pot I’ve had for 2 years and absolutely LOVE. It is the most-used kitchen appliance we own!
If you make this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram at @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you use my links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs
- 1 12 oz jar salsa verde (or any type of salsa) I get mine at Trader Joe's
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz Kite Hill cream cheese optional - this is for a creamy version!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Pour the jar of salsa into the Instant Pot to cover the bottom. Place the chicken breasts on top (do not overlap). Spoon some of the salsa on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the spices on top of the chicken. Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure, then shred the chicken using 2 forks (or a stand mixer).
- Serve in tacos, in Chipotle-style bowls with cauliflower rice and desired toppings, or on top of nachos!
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Pour the jar of salsa on top, followed by the spices. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken using two forks.