Whole30 Chicken Piccata
This Whole30 Chicken Piccata is a delicious gluten free and grain free version of the classic Italian lemon chicken dish!
Chicken Piccata used to be one of my all-time favorite meals to order at Italian restaurants. The regular version is typically breaded and fried, which unfortunately doesn’t work for me anymore. This Whole30 Chicken Piccata is grain free, gluten free, and dairy free. We use a mixture of egg, then almond flour and coconut flour to coat the chicken and fry it to a golden brown. The lemon and capers add amazing flavor!
What Ingredients do I need to make this Whole30 Chicken Piccata?
- Chicken – I like to use organic chicken from Butcher Box.
- Almond flour
- coconut flour
- chicken broth – I like Kettle & Fire or Costco Brand.
If you have a nut allergy, you can use Pork Panko as a great breading alternative. It is what is pictured above and turned out so crispy and delicious! You can also make your own by crushing up pork rinds. Just be sure to check your ingredients if doing a Whole30!
Finally, if you make this Whole30 Chicken Piccata, be sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means that if you use my links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Chicken Piccata
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts (I cut two large chicken breasts in half to form 4 thinner breasts, and pounded them until they were of even thickness.) , (I cut two large chicken breasts in half to form 4 thinner breasts, and pounded them until they were of even thickness.)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 lemons, 1 for juicing, one for garnish
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp water
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the egg in another shallow dish. Place side by side near the stove. Heat 2 tbsp of your oil over medium high heat in a large cast iron skillet. Meanwhile, dip your butterflied/sliced chicken breasts first in the egg, then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- Add to the chicken to the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your chicken breasts. (I did two chicken pieces at a time, removed them, then added 2 more tbsp of olive for the 2nd batch of chicken). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add ghee to the empty hot pan and scrape up any brown bits as it melts. Add in chicken broth, capers, the juice from one lemon, and the arrowroot powder/water mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat - let it simmer for about 3-5 mins. Add chicken back to the pan and keep on low until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!