Reuben In A Bowl (Paleo, Keto)
This Reuben in a Bowl recipe is a low carb, gluten free, dairy free, and grain free alternative to the classic American deli sandwich!
With St. Paddy’s Day right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to create a new recipe using corned beef. This Reuben In A Bowl has all the taste of a classic Reuben sandwich, except no bread and no dairy! It has cauliflower rice, cabbage, onion, corned beef (either from the deli or leftover), and a homemade Thousand Island dressing. You can certainly add some Swiss cheese if you’d like!
Corned beef can be tricky since often times it is made with colorings, additives, sugar, sodium erythorbate, “spices” (which could mean pretty much anything), and sodium nitrate. If you have to be gluten free like I do, just make sure to check your labels! Honestly, ain’t nobody got time to brine their own corned beef for 3-5 days (and if you do, I envy you), so I am always on the hunt for ones that are ready to pop into the slow cooker! I found a great corned beef made by Wellshire that is gluten free and naturally colored using beet powder at Whole Foods. I also found gluten free Boar’s Head deli corned beef at Safeway. My only concern is cross contamination on the slicing machines. However, I tested it with my Nima sensor and it came back clear!
What other ingredients will I need to make a Reuben In A Bowl?
In terms of other ingredients, I used a 1 lb bag of frozen cauliflower rice from Costco, a 1 lb bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots), onion, and then made my own Thousand Island dressing.
For the dressing you will need:
- Mayo (I like Sir Kensington’s brand and get a big jar of it at Costco!)
- Tomato paste
- Coconut Aminos
- Dill Pickles – check ingredients. I love Grillo’s brand!
- Ground mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
If you make this Reuben In A Bowl, be sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Reuben In A Bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb bag coleslaw mix (red & green cabbage + carrots)
- 1 lb frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/2 lb deli corned beef (or leftover corned beef brisket), cut into 1 inch pieces (approximately 2 cups total)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp dill pickles, finely diced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the coleslaw mix, frozen cauliflower rice, and corned beef and stir well. Add in the salt, pepper, and caraway seeds. Add the apple cider vinegar and the chicken broth and cover the pan.
- Let it cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- While the skillet is cooking, mix all of the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Serve the dressing drizzled over the reuben bowls and enjoy!