Paleo Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
This recipe for Paleo Chorizo Huevos Rancheros is a grain free & gluten free version of the classic Mexican dish. Almond flour tortillas are topped with a delicious homemade ranchero sauce, pork chorizo, a fried egg, avocado, and cilantro. This is a perfect breakfast or brunch for any occasion!
*Thank you to the National Pork Board for sponsoring this post!
I’ve ordered Huevos Rancheros at various restaurants over the years, and I figured it was time to get an easy, grain free and gluten free version up on the blog! The kids helped me make this dish over the weekend. It was a fun and educational experience for all! Huevos Rancheros translates as “ranchers eggs”. The idea of ranchers eggs comes from the fact that this is a traditional mid-morning dish among rural Mexican farms. Typically corn tortillas are topped with ranchero sauce and fried eggs. For this version, I decided to add in some spicy Mexican pork sausage, which is called chorizo. It really added to the flavors in this dish!
One positive that has come out of the past 9 months during quarantining and spending more time at home is more family meals and cooking together. Pork is a simple, versatile protein that allows us to bond and better connect with our families in the moment every day. We love cooking with pork in our family!
This Easy Ranchero Sauce is so versatile and would be great on so many dishes. It only uses a few ingredients. You can store it in the fridge for future use for up to 7 days!
Importance of Family Meals based on Research Findings:
Responses from surveys commissioned by The National Pork Board reveal strengthened family bonds and more time shared over meals — including both meal preparation and dinnertime itself. These findings include:
- More than half of families surveyed say they’ve been cooking more over the past 6 months, with 1 in 3 of them trying new recipes.
- Even teenagers report enjoyment from catching up with family members at dinner.
- 85% of families surveyed say they’ll continue eating together post-coronavirus.
Preparing and eating different pork dishes together as a family is a way to educate your children about different cultures around the world. I think it’s so important for our children to experience different cultures. Pork’s presence in ethnic dishes delivers new, unique eating experiences. My 2-year-old LOVED this Huevos Rancheros!
What You Need to Make This Paleo Chorizo Huevos Rancheros:
- Chorizo – This is Mexican spicy pork sausage. Try to look for a sugar free version if you’re interested in keeping this paleo!
- Almond flour or other grain free tortillas – I like Siete Foods brand
- Cilantro for topping
For the Easy Ranchero Sauce:
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Chili powder
- Coconut aminos
- Olive oil
How to Make This Paleo Chorizo Huevos Rancheros:
First make the Ranchero sauce. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add in the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Use an immersion blender to combine it and make it smooth. Set the sauce aside.
Sauté the chorizo in a pan until it is completely cooked through. Remove to a plate. In the same pan, fry your eggs.
Heat your tortillas in a pan, or I like to char mine over an open flame on my gas stove. Top the tortillas with some ranchero sauce, chorizo, an egg, more sauce, avocado, and cilantro. Enjoy!
If you try out these Huevos Rancheros, please tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
Looking for some other delicious recipes using pork? Check these out!
And here are a bunch of the Paleo & Whole30 pork recipes from my site:
- Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Asian Pork Meatball Bowls
- Sausage & Fennel Pasta with Mushrooms and Spinach
- Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup
- Blueberry Breakfast Sausage
- Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
- Skillet Pesto Meatball & Gnocchi Bake
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin with Squash and Grapes
- Instant Pot Cider Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
Paleo Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
- 8 grain free tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb chorizo sausage , (casings removed if not ground)
- Avocado, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
Easy Ranchero Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Make the ranchero sauce. Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add in the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is softened. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir. Let it simmer over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients (or you can leave it chunky if you prefer). Set the sauce aside.
- Cook the chorizo: Saute the chorizo for 5-7 minutes or until it is completely browned and cooked through. Remove it to a plate. Using the same pan, fry your eggs.
- Heat your tortillas (I like to do this oven an open flame on my gas stove to get them charred), then top 2 with some of the ranchero sauce, chorizo, 1 egg, avocado, and cilantro. Add more sauce if desired. Serve and enjoy!