This hearty Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup is quick, easy, and jam-packed with shrimp, smoked sausage, and Creole flavors! It comes together in just 20 minutes, and also makes amazing leftovers.
I’ll be completely honest – I had this idea to make Jambalaya in the Instant Pot, but when I tested the recipe, it came out super SOUPY. Then I thought…wait a minute…is Jambalaya Soup a thing? Because it should be. We ate the entire thing in 24 hours – this is SO good, you guys!! If you like my Shrimp & “Grits”, you will love this soup. It’s packed with homemade Creole seasoning, smoked sausage (you can also sub Kielbasa), and tender shrimp. I used cauliflower rice instead of regular rice to keep this Whole30, Paleo, and Keto.
I like to get frozen shrimp that comes 21-25 per bag. They are fairly large, but you can really use any size shrimp you want (as long as it comes in a 1 lb bag). I always look for sugar free smoked sausage (Pederson’s Farms is great) or Kielbasa, which I can usually find at Wegman’s, Sprouts, Harris Teeter, and many other stores!
I will include stove top directions below just in case you haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot train quite yet!
Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp thawed if previously frozen
- 1 12 oz package smoked sausage sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. (can sub kielbasa - look for sugar free if doing Whole30)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 16 oz package frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper add more for more heat!
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes reduce for less heat
- diced scallions/green onions for garnish
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Turn Instant Pot to "saute" mode. Heat olive oil for 1 minute. Add in onions, peppers, and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Add in sliced sausage, diced tomatoes, broth, and spices. Lock lid and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Mix arrowroot powder + water to create a slurry. This will help to thicken the soup a bit.
- Manually release the pressure. Hit "cancel/keep warm", then turn to "saute" mode. Bring to a boil, then add in the frozen cauliflower rice and thawed shrimp. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through and the cauliflower rice is tender. Add in slurry and stir to thicken. Serve topped with hot sauce and green onions. Enjoy!
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!