This Mexican Street Corn and Tomato Salad is packed with fresh charred corn, tomato, cilantro, jalapeño, Mexican Spices, mayo, and feta cheese (optional if dairy free!). It is the perfect side dish for all of your summertime BBQs!
I’m excited to not only share this new recipe with you today, but FIVE Gluten Free Recipes to Kick Off SUMMER! I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite bloggers to bring you 5 delicious recipes to create the perfect complete BBQ/picnic menu!
Ok, let’s go!
Strawberry Rose Spritzer from Wanderlust and Wellness
Chopped Thai Brussels sprouts Salad with Creamy Almond Ginger Dressing from I’m Hungry By Nature
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (GF, Paleo, Whole30) from Hot Pan Kitchen
Gluten Free Berry Crisp from All The Healthy Things
How good do all of those look?!
Last but not least, we have my recipe for Mexican Street Corn and Tomato Salad (below). I have always been a huge fan of Mexican Street Corn. The combo of mayo, spices, and feta on top is SO GOOD. But it’s also SO messy! I figured why not take the corn off the cob and turn this into a salad? It can also double as a really great fresh salsa to pair with some Siete grain free chips!
But I am dairy free…
You can omit the feta cheese from this recipe if you are avoiding dairy. As most of you know, I usually avoid it because thanks to the Whole30, I know my body doesn’t love it. However, traditional feta is actually made from sheep’s milk (or a combination of goat’s and sheep’s milk), which are less inflammatory than cow’s milk. Goat’s milk also has smaller fat globules which helps with digestion, it has high levels of healthy fats, AND it contains less lactose than other milks. All of this makes it well tolerated by people that find cow’s milk difficult to digest. (source)
Bottom line, if I’m going to indulge in some cheese every now and then, it’s most likely going to be feta!
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
Mexican Street Corn and Tomato Salad
- 6 ears fresh corn on the cob Frozen won't work well for this recipe!
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayo I like Sir Kensington's Avocado Oil mayo best for this, but any brand will work.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup feta cheese for topping - omit if dairy free!
- Remove corn kernels from the cobs using a sharp knife and set aside in a bowl. Heat avocado oil in a large skillet (cast iron is preferred!) over medium high heat. Once hot, add corn and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Let it cook 5 minutes without stirring. Once the bottom of the corn starts to brown/get crisp, stir and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.* Add corn to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl with the corn and stir well. Top with feta cheese (if you tolerate daily - if not, omit!) and serve. Enjoy!