This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all of the flavors of the classic comfort food casserole! It’s dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and Whole30. I’ve included a Keto option, as well!
I’m all about the comfort foods right now, and this Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup might just be my new favorite! It’s creamy and delicious, and the leftovers are even better the next day. I realize not everyone has an Instant Pot, so I have included stove top directions below, as well!
If you are trying to keep things low carb or Keto, you can simply omit the potatoes. This soup will still be delicious!
Let’s chat ingredients:
The not-so-secret ingredient that gives this soup the creamy factor without the dairy is CASHEWS (raw, unsalted). A simple cashew cream is made from combining 1 cup of soaked (and drained) cashews with 1/2 cup of water in the blender, and blending on high until extremely thick and creamy (about 1 minute). If you aren’t able to have cashews, you can sub in 1 cup of coconut cream (or just use the thickened part on the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk).
For the chicken, I always get organic chicken breasts in my monthly Butcher Box! I love the convenience factor of having it delivered to my doorstep. It’s also nice to only have to worry about getting produce when I go shopping!
The sherry is optional, but I think it gives this soup really great flavor.
If you need me I’ll be over here curled up by the fire eating this for the next few days because it makes a TON of leftovers! 🙂
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I truly use and love. Thanks for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- pressure cooker
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 large russett potato (or 2 small - should be about 2 cups diced) peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp sherry cooking wine omit for Whole30
- 1.5 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- Add cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them soak while you chop your veggies and prep the soup.
- Hit the "saute" button on your Instant Pot. Add in the tbsp of cooking fat (ghee or olive oil). Add in the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces, potatoes, green beans, chicken broth, sherry, and spices/herbs. Give everything a good stir. Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on "manual" high pressure for 12 minutes.
- While it's coming to pressure, make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with 1/2 cup of water. Blend on high for 1 minute or until VERY thick and creamy.
- Once the soup is done, manually release the pressure. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. It should be very tender! Add in the cashew cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!
- Heat cooking fat in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften. Add in remaining soup ingredients (except cashew cream). Stir. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes until vegetables have softened and chicken is cooked through. While it's simmering, make your cashew cream using directions above. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. Add your cashew cream and stir. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!