Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili (Gluten Free)
This Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is delicious, hearty, and simple to make. It’s packed with ground turkey, two types of beans, tomatoes, green chiles, and the perfect amount of spices. An easy meal the entire family will love! Gluten free, dairy free, soy free.
There is nothing better than a big bowl of chili on a cold, snowy day! I’ve recently added beans back into my diet, and so far it’s working out great. I have a lot of Paleo/Whole30 chili recipes on my site, but I figured it was time to get a classic, bean-filled chili recipe up! This recipe is simple to make in your slow cooker with about 10 minutes of hands-on time.
What You Need to Make This Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 2 lbs Ground turkey – I love getting this from Butcher Box! You can also use ground chicken or ground beef!
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Red bell pepper
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Chicken broth
- Kidney beans
- Great northern beans
- Canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
That’s it! I loved serving this with some Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Bread and some Green Valley Lactose Free Sour Cream.
How to Make This Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
First, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the turkey is browned and mostly cooked through. Add the turkey, onions, and garlic into your slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
Can you freeze chili? Yes! You can freeze this chili in an airtight container (just let it cool and leave a little room at the top of the container before freezing) for up to 4 months. It will also stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days!
How do you reheat turkey chili? If previously frozen, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can cook on the stovetop for about 20 minutes, or pop it into the microwave for 3-4 minutes!
Is this chili Whole30 friendly? No, because it has beans which are legumes. They are off limits on the program. However, you can substitute 2 cups of diced sweet potato for the beans to make it compliant!
Can you use another type of ground beef in this recipe? Absolutely. Ground chicken, ground beef, or ground venison would work wonderfully!
If you try this Slow Cooker Turkey Chili, make sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
Looking for some other delicious Slow Cooker Recipes? Be sure to check these out!
Enjoy and stay warm out there!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey, can also sub ground beef or ground chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can Great Northern beans, or cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- cayenne, 1/4 tsp for a little heat, 3/4 tsp for a hot of heat!
- First, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, breaking the turkey up with a wooden spoon, until the onions have softened a bit and the turkey is browned and mostly cooked through. Add the turkey, onions, and garlic into your slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.