Grilled BBQ Chicken Stuffed Peppers
These Grilled BBQ Chicken Stuffed Peppers put a fun twist on the classic recipe! Grilled peppers stuffed with a mixture of pulled chicken, cauliflower rice, onion, BBQ sauce and topped with creamy dairy-free ranch . They come together in 30 minutes or less and they are Whole30 and Paleo-friendly!
I came up with this idea last summer, and am just now finally getting around to adding the recipe and new photos to the blog! It’s such a fun twist on classic Stuffed Peppers and great for summertime. And it comes together a lot quicker than you might think! Back in the day, I was scared to grill anything without Bryan’s help. I would wait until he got home from work and make him light it, and grill whatever I needed. One day I was like hmm, maybe I should learn how to use this thing! Girls need to know how to grill too, right?! I’m so glad I did, because now I can grill all of the things, and it’s so fun.
I use The New Primal BBQ Sauce for this recipe, which is Whole30 approved. You can get it on Thrive Market, which is an online grocery store where you can get tons of healthy pantry staples for cheaper than retail price! If you are interested in trying it out, use this link to get 25% off your first order + a 30 day free trial! Thrive Market is amazing for people like me who live in the middle of nowhere, with no fancy grocery stores 🙂
You don’t need to put oil on the peppers before grilling them. Simply slice in half, scoop out the seeds/membranes, and plop on the grill! I did 5 mins each side to get those nice grill lines. You can work on the filling while grilling the peppers to save time.
Easiest Method Ever for Quickly Cooking Chicken!
I used my favorite method for quickly cooking chicken in this recipe! Simply add chicken breasts to a medium-sized pot, fill with water to cover the chicken, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 mins. DONE! You can now shred the chicken with 2 forks and use it for this recipe, my sweet and savory chicken salad, or pretty much any recipe that calls for pre-cooked chicken!
Alternatively, you can also cook the chicken in your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water or chicken broth, insert the trivet, place chicken on top, and cook for 8 minutes on high pressure. Quick release and shred! (This is the timing for thawed chicken!)
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
Grilled BBQ Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 5 large peppers, Halved and seeds/membranes removed. Any colors will work!
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 12 oz bottle sugar free BBQ sauce , See post for Whole30 options!
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 16 oz package frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dairy-free ranch dressing (I like Tessemae's or Sir Kensington's), for topping
- fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Turn your grill on and set to medium high. Once it's heated up, add your peppers (cut side up) to the grill. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook filling per directions below (stove top or Instant Pot), then stuff some into each pepper half. Top with compliant ranch (I love Tessemae's), fresh cilantro, and enjoy!
Filling - Stove Top Directions
- Add chicken breasts to a medium sized pot and fill with water to cover. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from the pot and shred using two forks.
- Add cooking oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic, and cauliflower rice. Cook 5-7 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken to the pan with the onion, garlic and cauliflower rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the entire bottle of BBQ sauce and mix well. Stir and cook over medium heat for a few minutes until the sauce is heated through.
Filling- Instant Pot Directions
- Fill instant pot with 1 cup of water or chicken broth and insert trivet. Place chicken breasts on top and cook on manual high pressure for 8-10 minutes (8 for thin breasts, 10 for thick). Quick release, then remove chicken and shred using two forks.
- Dispose of the remaining water/broth and hit the "saute" button. Add cooking oil, onions, garlic, and cauliflower rice. Saute for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add shredded chicken, salt & pepper to taste, and BBQ sauce to the pot. Stir well.