That title is quite the mouthful – literally! 🙂 I am a sucker for fall meals if you couldn’t tell…and this one is no exception. When I saw Trader Joe’s was fully stocked with all the squash during my last visit, I had to stock up! I love delicata squash not only because of the flavor, but because you can eat the skin! No peeling involved = easier meal = happy mama.
The natural sweetness from the squash + apples combined with pumpkin pie spice are amazing on their own, but when you throw in a bit of chili powder and cayenne + onions, it takes this dish to a whole new level! This would make the perfect side dish for any holiday gathering, or you can just eat almost an entire pan for lunch on a random Wednesday like I did today. (insert crying laughing emoji here)
It’s important to make sure your squash rings are all relatively the same thickness to ensure even cooking. You could also add some pomegranates after cooking if you want to make this super festive looking!
Sweet & Spicy Delicata Squash with Apples & Onions
- 2 delicata squash
- 1/2 onion
- 1 apple I prefer Honeycrisp!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash your squash well (since you are going to be eating the skin this is an important step!), then cut in half. Scoop out the seeds, then cut into 1/2 inch thick rings. Slice the onion into 1/2 inch thick slices, and cut the apple into 1-2 inch pieces (I kept the skin on).
- Add the squash, apple, and onion pieces into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Spread out evenly on the baking pan and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip/toss everything around, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!