You guys are loving sheet pan meals (I mean, who doesn’t love EASY?!), so I’m bringing you MORE! I personally love sausage & peppers…usually served over GF pasta. But, for today’s purposes, I served them over zoodles to keep it Whole30 friendly! I also added mushrooms because I love them, but if you don’t love them, feel free to omit. This comes together in 25 minutes, and I guarantee it will be a crowd pleaser.
For the sausage, I used Applegate Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage (found at Sprouts), but you can absolutely use any chicken sausage or regular pork sausage that you like.
A fun way to switch up your veggie noodle game is to make ribbons! It’s super easy – Just wash your zucchini or yellow squash (or carrots) and use a veggie peeler to create long ribbons. You can eat them raw, but I suggest filling a shallow pot or pan with about 1/2 cup water, adding the ribbons, covering, and steaming for 3-4 mins or until your desired level of softness is achieved! We love using ribbons with meat sauce, carbonara, alfredo, and stroganoff, as well.
This was the perfect meal for Day 4 of our January Whole30 and I will most likely be making it again before this round is done!
And if you haven’t already made my Sausage, Potato & Broccoli Sheet Pan Supper, give that one a try, too! It’s the most popular recipe on my site, for good reason 🙂
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage & Peppers
- 1 package Italian Sausage I used Applegate Sweet Italian Sausage (sugar free/Whole30 compliant) - it came with 4 links in one pack
- 2 peppers any colors are fine!
- 1 medium onion
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large zucchini you can also use yellow squash or carrots
Sausage & Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the sausage links into rounds (about 1/2 inch thick) and add to a large bowl. Slice your peppers and onions into thin strips and add them to the bowl. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Dump the contents of the bowl onto the baking sheet and use a spatula to evenly spread everything out. I like to flip the sausage so the round part is face down - this helps it to brown while cooking. Bake for 25 minutes (without stirring). Remove from the oven and serve over the zucchini ribbons. Enjoy!
- While the sausage & peppers cook, use a veggie peeler to create long ribbons from the zucchinis (see photo above). Add 1/2 cup of water to a large saute pan. Add ribbons and cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and steam for 3-4 minutes. Drain, and serve sausage and peppers on top. Enjoy!