A delicious low carb and grain free version of your favorite Thanksgiving side dish! This riced cauliflower stuffing is Whole30, Paleo, and Keto!
When I recently saw that Trader Joe’s was coming out with a frozen riced cauliflower stuffing, I got super excited…until I read the ingredients. Why did they have to go and ruin it with Carrageenan?
What is Carrageenan?
I know I talk a lot about this stuff and how I try to avoid it. If you haven’t heard of it before, Carrageenan is an emulsifier/thickener which is used in a TON of food items in the US- yogurt, ice cream, almond/coconut milks, etc. It comes from seaweed and is known to cause inflammation in people with stomach/digestive disorders such as Celiac, Chrohn’s Disease, IBS, etc. I avoid it at all costs. Especially when it’s in something like this stuffing where it definitely is NOT needed! I decided I needed to create my own version of this grain-free stuffing – which included adding apples, sausage, and my own spice combo.
If doing a Whole30 or avoiding sugar, make sure to look for a compliant brand of sausage. Butcher Box or Jones Dairy Farm are both great brands!
If you are concerned with sugar free or Whole30, make sure to get unsweetened cranberries.
This riced cauliflower stuffing will be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving feast this year. It’s a savory combination of homemade sage/clove sausage with carrots, leeks, apples, celery, cauliflower rice, and cranberries. I literally could have eaten the entire bowl. But I made 6-8 servings, so I refrained 🙂 This would be a great side to bring if you are on a restricted diet and going to someone else’s house for the holidays! It’s paleo but nobody will know!
You can make your own pork sausage for this (I did because I love this recipe) or use a store-bought sausage to save time.
*This page contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Riced Cauliflower Stuffing
Sausage (optional- you can also used store bought!)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup diced leeks
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries look for sugar free if doing Whole30!
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 lb bag cauliflower rice, I get the bag in the fresh produce section at Trader Joes
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- Make the sausage. Heat ghee in a large saute pan and crumble ground pork with a spoon. Add all of the spices and mix to combine while cooking over medium heat. Continue stirring until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining ghee over medium high heat. Add the celery, leeks, carrots, apple, and dried cranberries and stir until they begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, sage, and rosemary. Continue stirring. Add in the cauliflower rice and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage back to the pan along with the chicken broth and stir until it's absorbed, 1-2 more minutes. Enjoy!