Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parmesan
This Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parmesan is a delicious low carb version of the Italian classic! It is gluten free and you could also omit the cheese for a Whole30 option!
Growing up, Chicken Parmesan used to be my favorite thing to order at Italian restaurants! With a close second being Spaghetti and Meatballs. The crispy breaded chicken topped with marinara, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil is just so delicious! Normally I would get it with a side of spaghetti. For this Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parm, I used a combination of almond flour and coconut flour with Italian herbs and spices for the “breading”. Then it gets fried in a pan with some ghee and olive oil, and finished in the oven. This dish has all of the flavor without the carbs or gluten! You can certainly omit the cheese for a Whole30 option.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parmesan?
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious dish!
- Chicken – I used 3 breasts split to create 6 thinner breasts, then pounded them to 1/2 inch thickness. It was about 2 lbs of chicken total.
- 1 egg
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Olive Oil
- Marinara sauce – My favorite is Rao’s Homemade
- Mozzarella Cheese – you can sub vegan cheese if dairy free, or omit the cheese for Whole30!
- Fresh basil, for garnish
That’s it! I like to get my chicken from Butcher Box. It is organic, hormone and antibiotic free, and delicious!
I served the chicken parmesan with some Natural Heaven noodles – spaghetti made from Hearts of Palm! It’s a great way to sneak in veggies and only 4 carbs per serving! You can use code MARYSWHOLELIFE to get 10% off your order here!
You can also omit the sauce and cheese for some really delicious “fried” chicken cutlets – they can be used for so many meals!
If you try this Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parm, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!
*This post contains affiliate links – this means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Grain Free & Keto Chicken Parmesan
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, I cut 3 chicken breasts in half to create 6 thinner breasts- pounded to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cups sugar free marinara sauce
- 6 pieces mozzarella cheese, sub vegan cheese for dairy free or omit for Whole30
- fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pound your halved chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. Crack the eggs in a shallow bowl and beat using a fork. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder to a separate shallow bowl and mix well.
- Heat the ghee and oil together in a large skillet over medium high heat. Dip each piece of chicken first in the egg, then in the almond flour mixture to coat. Cook the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown, then place into the casserole dish. You may need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Once all 6 pieces of chicken are in the casserole dish, add 1/3 cup of marinara sauce to the top of each piece. Add a piece of mozzarella on top of the sauce. Bake for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Serve topped with chopped basil and enjoy!