Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin
These Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin are a creamy and delicious dairy free version of the classic side dish! They are loaded with potatoes, a dairy free cheese sauce, and tons of flavor. Gluten free, grain free, and perfect for Thanksgiving!
In my opinion, potatoes are the best side dish at Thanksgiving (or any meal, really lol). Mashed, baked, whipped, or sliced a smothered with cheese – you really can’t go wrong! I absolutely love potatoes au gratin, so I knew I needed to make a healthier version for the blog. Typically, these potatoes are smothered with a sauce made from flour, milk, and cheese. Instead of these, I created a delicious creamy “cheese” sauce from coconut milk, chicken broth, cashews, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, and lemon. I cannot even believe how much these taste like the real deal. I will be making this side dish again and again – no matter what time of year it is!
What you need to make these Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin:
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these, and I bet you already have most of them in your pantry!
- 3 lbs of yellow or Yukon gold potatoes – you can choose to peel them or not, it’s up to you!
- Minced garlic
- chicken broth (or veggie broth for vegan)
- coconut milk (full fat)
- raw, unsalted cashews
- lemon juice
- nutritional yeast
- onion powder
- chopped parsley (for garnish, optional)
This will create approximately 6 servings.
How to make this Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin:
This meal takes about 15 minutes to prep, and a little over 1 hour to bake. The hardest part is cutting the potatoes 🙂
You can use a mandolin if you have one, or just use a knife (this is what I did). Personally, mandolins scare the crap out of me LOL so I use a knife. Either way, you need to slice the potatoes until they are 1/8 inch thickness or less. You can peel the potatoes or not – up to you! I left the skins on.
So step 1 – slice your potatoes and add them to a large bowl.
Step 2 – Combine the cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp onion powder to a high powered blender. If you don’t have a high powered blender, I recommend soaking the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes prior to blending. Set the “cheese” sauce aside.
Lightly grease a 9×12 baking dish and preheat your oven to 375.
Step 3- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in the coconut milk, chicken broth, additional salt, and “cheese” sauce mixture. Whisk it all well over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until it starts to bubble and thicken.
Layer 1/3 of the potatoes across the bottom of the dish and top with 1/3 of the sauce. Spread it out with a spatula so it evenly covers the potato layer. Repeat this step 2 more times until you have used all of the potatoes and the sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 30-35 minutes until the casserole is bubbling and browned on the top. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
Can I make this ahead of time and bake later?
Yes, definitely. You can assemble the potatoes and sauce the night before. Just try to bring it to room temperature before baking!
Some fun variations of this casserole:
Try adding some cooked ham, chicken, or turkey to make it a meal! You could also add in some peas or mushrooms (just sauté them with the ghee and garlic first for 5-7 mins before adding other ingredients) to get some additional veggies in.
Looking for some other holiday dishes to make this year? Check these out!
If you make these Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin, make sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
I hope you all enjoy these!
Whole30 Potatoes Au Gratin
- Preheat your oven to 375. Lightly grease a 9x12-inch baking dish.
- Cut your potatoes into 1/8 inch thick rounds. I didn't peel them first, but you can if you want to. You can cut the potatoes using a mandolin, or a knife. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add all of the "cheese" sauce ingredients (cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp onion powder) into a high powered blender.* Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the sauce is very creamy and no cashew chunks remain. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in the coconut milk, chicken broth, "cheese" sauce, and additional 1 tsp sea salt. Whisk well over medium heat for a few minutes until the sauce bubbles and begins to thicken.
- Layer 1/3 of the potato slices on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over top of the potatoes and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Repeat this two more times until you have used up all of the potatoes and the sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake the potatoes for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, then bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and browned on top. Serve with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!