Big Mac Tacos (Gluten Free)
This Big Mac Taco Recipe is a gluten free rendition of the viral recipe for smash burger tacos! They are so easy to make in less than 10 minutes and have all the flavors of your favorite McDonald’s Big Mac burger, complete with a homemade big mac sauce!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What Makes This Big Mac Taco Recipe Great
Ever since Smash Burger Tacos started trending and becoming a viral sensation last year, my family has been obsessed. These Gluten Free Big Mac Tacos are incredibly easy to make in just 10 minutes, and they taste exactly like a Big Mac! Smash burger tacos are so fun to make – you basically smash the tortilla down on the meat so they cook together. The beef patty becomes super crispy, and then you add some melty cheese, lettuce, pickles and special sauce and fold it up. These viral big mac tacos are basically a burger, but in taco form! The lightened up Big Mac Sauce is the icing on the cake.
- Big mac smash tacos are fun to make
- Tastes like a Big Mac sandwich
- Gluten Free recipe – perfect for Taco Tuesday
- Quick and easy – ready in just 10 minutes
- Versatile- add whatever burger toppings you want
- The best big mac tacos ever!
- Can be made on the stovetop or flat-top grill!
Ground beef: I like to use 90/10 beef that is more lean than standard ground beef. This prevents there from being too much grease on the pan. Nobody likes a greasy taco! Ground turkey also works well for this recipe!
Tortillas: I wanted to make this recipe gluten free since I have celiac disease. I love Mission gluten free tortillas or Siete cassava tortillas for these tacos! Try to look for a soft tortilla that is about 8 inches in size. The size of the tortillas is important because if they are too big, you won’t have enough burger to fill up your taco shell. Corn tortillas could work for this recipe, but I don’t think the flavors will go as well together.
Cheese: I prefer American cheese slices to get that authentic Big Mac flavor – but any type will work!
Toppings: Diced onions, pickles, and lettuce are musts in my book! Feel free to add your favorite toppings!
Garlic powder & salt: To help give the beef some flavor before frying.
Big Mac Sauce: We use Greek yogurt for this lightened up smash burger sauce. You can swap it for mayo for a dairy free sauce. You’ll also need yellow mustard, coconut aminos, ketchup, sweet relish, salt and paprika for the sauce.
How To Make Big Mac Tacos
In a small bowl combine your smash burger sauce ingredients.
Mix well to combine.
Divide the ground beef into 6 equal portions and roll into balls. Place a ball in the center of each tortilla.
Rather than smashing the tortillas and meat down onto the pan using a burger press, I’ve found that this method works better: Spread the raw meat out in a thin layer on the tortilla and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. This forms better, more evenly-cooked burger patties.
Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place the tortilla meat-side down on the hot griddle or pan, and cook for 2-3 mins until golden brown.
Spray the tortilla side with more olive oil or avocado oil, then flip it.
Add a slice of American cheese on top of the meat.
Cook for another 1-2 minutes while you let the cheese melt. Covering the pan can be helpful. Serve topped with diced onion, shredded lettuce, pickles, and a drizzle of the smash burger sauce, or add your favorite burger toppings! Sesame seeds are also a great addition if you have them!
Mary’s Tips & Tricks
Choose lean hamburger meat or turkey.- this will help lessen the amount of grease on the pan.
Store leftover tacos (without toppings) in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Don’t overcook – if you cook the tacos too long, the gluten free tortillas can get super crispy and they may not fold as well.
What To Serve with Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos
Big Mac Smash Burger Taco FAQ’s
Yes! Simply use dairy free cheese slices (Violife are good!) and swap out the Greek yogurt in the Big Mac Sauce recipe for mayo.
I like to keep my oven on low heat and add the cooked tacos to a sheet pan. Keep them warm in the oven as you finish making all of the big mac tacos, then add your toppings and serve all at once.
More Delicious Ground Beef Recipes
Big Mac Tacos (Gluten Free)
- 1 lb ground beef, I like to use 90/10 for less grease in the pan
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 gluten free tortillas, Mission or Siete brands both work well. Mine were about 8 inches wide.
- 6 slices American cheese
- ¼ cup white onion, finely diced
- salt & pepper
- Pickles, for topping, optional
- Shredded lettuce, for topping, optional
- avocado oil spray
- Big Mac Sauce
- cast iron skillet or griddle
- Combine your smash burger sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Divide the 1 lb of beef into 6 equal portions and roll them each into a ball. Place the ball into the middle of a tortilla and press down to spread it out into a thin layer to cover as much of the surface of the tortilla as possible. Sprinkle the beef with salt, pepper, and some of the garlic powder.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place the tortilla meat-side down and cook for 2-3 mins until browned.
- Spray the tortilla with more oil, then flip and add a slice of cheese on top of the meat, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve topped with diced onion, shredded lettuce, pickles, and a drizzle of the big mac sauce. Enjoy!