Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
A one-pan dish with all of the flavors of Stuffed Peppers without any of the fuss! This Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Skillet is also Paleo and Keto-friendly!
*Post updated with new photos and copy 06/2019
This Unstuffed Pepper Skillet was one of the first recipes I ever put up on my blog! I decided it needed a bit of a makeover, so I re-photographed it recently.
When I first went gluten free, I was looking for easy meals to throw together using one pan or one skillet. I love stuffed peppers, but they can be a lot of work. This dish has all of the flavors without any of the fuss- no blanching or baking the peppers! And it’s totally gluten and dairy free. You can definitely add cheese if you tolerate dairy!
I also love to add fresh basil.
I cooked up this meal in my Lodge Cast Iron 12″ Skillet – I seriously use this for everything!
What ingredients do I need to make this Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Skillet?
- Ground beef – I get my grass-fed, grass-finished organic ground beef delivered from Butcher Box!
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1/2 onion
- Rao’s marinara sauce (24 oz total – any brand will work, just check to make sure it’s sugar free for Whole30!)
- Cauliflower rice – I prefer frozen vs. fresh. It has a better texture
- Nutritional yeast- I get this at Trader Joe’s. It gives dishes a “cheesy” flavor without the dairy. It is basically inactive yeast, and is Whole30, gluten free, paleo, etc.
- Coconut aminos – this gives this dish a hint of sweetness.
You can also use regular rice in place of cauliflower rice. You will need to cook the rice first, and then add it in with everything in the skillet, and stir to combine. This will still be gluten free, but not paleo or Whole30 since grains are not allowed.
Can you freeze this dish?
Yes, it freezes well!
Can you use other types of meat?
Yes! Ground pork, turkey, or chicken would also be great. Or sausage!
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb ground beef, or meat of choice - pork or turkey would also work!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 peppers (any color), chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 24 oz jar Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce, or any sugar-free tomato sauce
- 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast , optional - gives it a cheesy flavor
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos, optional - gives it a bit of sweetness
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground beef and cook 5-7 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of olive oil to the hot pan and add peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until they begin to become translucent.
- Add in the riced cauliflower along with the salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast.
- Sautee until the rice begins to soften, then add the ground beef back into the pan.
- Add the jar of marinara sauce, stir to combine, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh basil on top. Enjoy!