Whole30 Shrimp & “Grits”
These Shrimp and “Grits” are a low carb and Whole30 version of the classic southern dish! Smoked sausage and shrimp in a spicy creole gravy over cauliflower “grits” is healthy comfort food the entire family will love!
After living in Charleston for 2+ years recently, I gained a new appreciation and love for Shrimp and Grits. There are so many versions, and I prefer the ones with a non-cream based sauce. I love spicy food, so when I had some of my favorite smoked sausage from Pedersons Farms and a head of cauliflower, I decided to create a yummy Whole30 friendly version of the southern favorite.
This dish is ready in 30 minutes or less, and cost less than $7 a person to make! The buttery/garlicky cauliflower mash makes a great substitute for regular grits. You won’t even believe this is a healthy/Whole30 friendly meal after taking your first bite. The flavors are unreal 🙂
I usually find the Pederson’s smoked sausage at Wegmans or Sprouts, but you can substitute any type of smoked sausage or kielbasa (as long as it’s sugar free). If you can’t find it, feel free to omit it completely or you could replace it with bacon! For the shrimp, I like to buy the frozen raw tail-on kind from Trader Joe’s or Costco. You can remove the tails or leave them on – totally up to you.
In terms of ingredients, I get arrowroot powder from Thrive Market (use this link to get 25% off your first order of healthier pantry staples for a discounted price!). It’s a great Whole30 friendly alternative to corn starch and is used to thicken sauces.
Ok, let’s get cookin’!
Shrimp & Sausage with gravy
- 1 package Pederson's Natural Farms Smoked Sausage (I found it at Wegman's)
- 1 lb frozen or fresh shrimp, thawed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Place cauliflower pieces in a large pot and fill to cover them halfway with water. Bring to a boil and cook 10-15 minutes, until very tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sausage and shrimp. Cut the link into 1/4 inch slices. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add sausage pieces and thawed shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the pieces and cook for another 2 minutes. Add spices and continue to stir. Add chicken broth and use spoon to scrape up any brown bits. Cook and let the chicken broth reduce by about half. Combine the arrowroot powder & water in a small dish, and stir the mixture into the sausage/chicken broth. It will thicken quickly - Turn heat to low and add more chicken broth if you need to thin it out at all (or you can add more arrowroot/water mixture if it needs to be thickened).
- Once the cauliflower is done, drain all of the water out and return to pan. Add ghee, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chicken broth and mash together. Use an immersion blender to get them nice and fluffy!
- Serve the shrimp/sausage and sauce over top the mashed cauliflower. Enjoy!