Along with fall (my favorite season ever) comes fall FOODS which are also my favorite! I recently did a poll on Instagram asking people if they were team apple or team pumpkin when it comes to fall baking – and so many people responded “do I have to choose?!” – LOL. I feel the same way. It’s like asking someone to choose their favorite child. That being said, I feel like I have focused on pumpkin a lot already and haven’t been giving apple any love. So, here it is! One of my favorite desserts- Apple Crisp, except without any gluten, refined sugar, dairy, or grains!
This dessert (and/or breakfast- no judgement here!) has all the flavors of apple pie with about 1/4 the effort. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days, too – so not to worry if you have leftovers! It can be made ahead of time for holiday gatherings as well, just bring it to room temp before baking.
I think the combination of honeycrisp + granny smith apples make for the perfect combo of sweet/sour, but feel free to use whatever kinds of apples you prefer.
I love serving this with some coconut/dairy-free icecream! (Coconut Bliss is my favorite brand)
Paleo Apple Crisp
- 6-7 large apples (I used 3 Honeycrisp and 3 Granny Smith peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil - solid at room temp
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x9 casserole dish with cooking spray (I used coconut oil). Add all filling ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Set aside while you make the topping. Add all topping ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until it resembles granola. Add filling to the casserole dish and spread the topping overtop evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked through and browned on top. Serve topped with dairy free ice cream or whipped cream! Enjoy!