Gluten Free Mug Cake
This chocolate chip cake is the perfect single-serving treat for when you’re craving something sweet! It comes together in just 5 minutes with minimal ingredients. This gluten free mug cake is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free!
What Makes This Gluten Free Mug Cake Work
Whoever came up with this cake in a cup concept is a genius! This single serving dessert is great for nights when you want a little homemade treat, but don’t want to whip up an entire cake or batch of cookies. This flourless mug cake has everything you want in a dessert- it’s warm, ooey, gooey, and delicious. It has a slightly spongy texture and literally melts in your mouth!
And the best part- it comes together quickly using ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. The almond flour and coconut flour work together to make the perfect texture without the use of any grains.
Baking powder – Be sure to look for gluten free baking powder that is also aluminum free.
Coconut oil – You can also use ghee if preferred. It is important to measure it melted, not solid!
Chocolate chips – To make a paleo mug cake, look for brands like Hu Kitchen or Eating Evolved which are refined sugar free. Another delicious brand of gluten free chocolate chips is Enjoy Life Foods.
Almond & coconut flour – This recipe really requires the use of both of these flours for the right texture. I have not tested it with just one or the other. If you do, let us know how it turns out in the comments below!
How To Make This Cake In A Mug
- Add all of the wet ingredients to a Pyrex 2-cup measuring cup and mix. You can also add them directly into the mug to mix, but I find it works best to use a separate cup/bowl for mixing!
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into a microwave-safe mug (12 oz size works well)
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes. The timing will depend on your microwave. Mine was perfect around the 1 and 1/2 minute mark! Add more chocolate chips on top, if desired. They tend to sink to the bottom!
This gooey chocolate mug cake will be HOT when it comes out of the microwave! Let it cool for a minute or two before digging in. You can mix all of the ingredients directly in the mug, but I find it easier to mix separately first and then pour it into the mug.
Top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired!
Since this recipe includes an egg and coconut oil, it will be very moist! I suggest cooking for 45 seconds to 1 minute to obtain a moist mug cake.
Sure – blueberries, strawberries, banana, nuts, or sprinkles would work well!
Each gluten free mug cake has 547 calories.
Yes, it is dairy free as long as you use dairy free chocolate chips!
I haven’t tried it with a flax egg, but if you do, please let us know how it goes in the comments below! You can also use 1.5 tbsp applesauce in place of the egg!
YES! Simply swap the egg for 1.5 tbsp apple sauce!
Gluten Free Mug Cake (Paleo, Dairy Free)
- 12 oz mug
- 2 cup measuring cup
- Add all of the wet ingredients to a 2 cup glass measuring cup (or small bowl) and mix well using a fork.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into a medium-sized mug and smooth out the top. Add additional chocolate chips on top, if desired. Microwave for 1-2 minutes. Mine was perfect at the 1.5 minute mark!
- Let it cool for 1-2 minutes. Top with a scoop of dairy free icecream or whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!