The Ultimate Christmas Crack Recipe (Paleo & Gluten Free!)
This Christmas Crack recipe is the most delicious twist on a classic holiday favorite. Gluten Free & Paleo, this treat is sure to be a party favorite!
This post was originally posted in 2018 and updated with new photos and copy on 10/30/21.
Any other Christmas Crack fans out there?! The sweet, salty, and addicting toffee cracker treat that everyone loves at cookie exchanges? It’s called Crack for a reason! I love this stuff and wanted to create a gluten free, grain free, and dairy free version. It tastes just as good (in my humble opinion) without any of the junk!
What Makes This Recipe Work
Christmas Crack Candy is a holiday staple. It’s typically made with Saltine Cracker’s, a sweet caramel brown sugar mixture, and covered with chocolate and frozen to perfection. Some people even like to make their Christmas Crack with white chocolate and top with crushed candy canes. It becomes this amazing toffee cracker candy that is totally addicting. It’s such a cute gift to put in a tin and give to your neighbors. I just had to recreate this recipe!
I call this the Ultimate Christmas Crack Recipe because with so many people dealing with dietary restrictions, this truly is the toffee treat that everyone can enjoy. All 5 ingredients are gluten free, grain free, paleo, and if you use vegan butter, it’s dairy free and vegan! This crack candy is the gift that keeps on giving! Your Holiday guests will thank you!
These are the 5 simple ingredients that make Christmas Crack, well, the best Christmas candy ever!
- Simple Mills Grain Free Sea Salt Crackers: Most Christmas Crack recipes call for Saltine crackers, but Saltines aren’t gluten free! These Simple Mills Crackers are grain free and I love them! They do have a slight rosemary/savory taste, but I like that it balances out the sweet caramel and chocolate. You can find these at most Targets, Wegmans, and on Thrive Market. I also get them at Costco! Feel free to use any type of gluten free Saltine replacement and it will work just fine.
- Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels: I love these dairy free dark chocolate chips for this recipe. If you have another favorite brand of dairy free chocolate chips, feel free to use them for the chocolate shell.
- coconut sugar: I use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar in my caramel sugar mixture because it has a lower glycemic index and keeps my Christmas crack Paleo!
- butter: I like to use Kerrygold Grass Fed unsalted Butter. I’ve also made this with Miyoko’s Unsalted Vegan Butter and it turned out amazing!
- vanilla extract: just a hint of vanilla adds so much flavor!
How to Make this Christmas Crack Recipe
For as good as Christmas Crack tastes, you’d think the step-by-step process would be way harder than it is! In just a few easy steps, this Christmas Crack recipe comes to life!
- Lay out the crackers on the pan.
- Spread the caramel sugar mixture evenly over the crackers and bake.
- Pour melted chocolate evenly over the caramel sugar mixture and crackers.
- Okay, Step 5 is just to enjoy this yummy, toffee crack!
*See the recipe card for more detailed instructions!
Mary’s Tips & Tricks
Refrigerator: Christmas Crack candy is best stored in the refrigerator.
Freezer: You can also freeze it and let it thaw for 10 minutes before eating.
Tins: If you want to gift this yummy crack candy to your neighbors or friends, I recommend storing it in the freezer before putting together your tins. Line the tin with parchment paper, place the Christmas Crack in the tin, and keep it in the freezer until you’re ready to gift! Write a cute note letting them know the proper storage instructions.
- What other Gluten Free crackers will work? Readers have used all kinds of gluten free crackers for this Christmas Crack Recipe. You can really use any cracker! Some that work great are gluten free graham crackers, almond flour crackers, and more!
Can I use a dairy free butter substitute? You can, however, it’s best to use vegan butter like Miyoko’s or Kite Hill. Some of my readers have had issues with ghee.
More Holiday Treats Please!
Pin this Recipe
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
The Ultimate Christmas Crack Recipe (Paleo & Gluten Free!)
- 1 4.25 oz box almond flour crackers (or any GF cracker of choice), I used Simple Mills sea salt grain free crackers. There are about 70 crackers in the box. Hu Kitchen is another good brand.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life brand. Hu is great, too!
- 1 cup grass-fed or vegan butter, Kerrygold, Miyokos, and Kite Hill all work great.
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 9x13 inch pan
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray with avocado oil or other cooking oil. Line the bottom of the pan evenly with crackers until it is completely covered and they form the bottom layer. Set aside.
- Combine butter and coconut sugar in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and whisk vigorously for 3-4 minutes. It will appear to separate, but that's ok! Just keep stirring until it resembles caramel and is a rich brown color. Remove from heat immediately and add vanilla.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the crackers. Put into the oven and bake for 5 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe dish in 40 second increments, stirring in between. When the crackers/caramel come out of the oven, let them cool for 1-2 minutes until the bubbling stops. Pour the chocolate overtop and smooth/even out using a butter knife.
- Let the pan cool and refrigerate overnight (or minimum 6 hours for best consistency!) Alternatively you can freeze the pan for 2 hours. Once ready, remove the foil/parchment paper and cut using a chef's knife (you can also use your hands but I find a knife works a bit better!). Serve and enjoy. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days!