Paleo Strawberry Shortcake (Gluten Free)
This Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is a healthier version of the classic summer dessert. It is gluten free, dairy free, and grain free! Almond flour biscuits are filled with a sweetened strawberry mixture and topped with coconut whipped cream.
I am so flipping excited to have my favorite summer dessert on the blog! This Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is made with slightly sweet grain free almond flour biscuits, strawberries, and coconut whipped cream. It tastes pretty darn close to the real thing, and I can’t wait for you to try it! It is very easy to make and you can prep the biscuits/coconut whipped cream ahead of time if you want.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Paleo Strawberry Shortcake?
This recipe uses minimal ingredients and you probably have a lot of them in your pantry!
For the biscuits:
- Almond flour – I like to get a big bag at Costco.
- Baking powder- try to look for gluten free. many types have corn starch which isn’t technically paleo, but I use it anyway. If you are sensitive to corn starch, you can check out this recipe for homemade paleo baking powder here.
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 4 cups strawberries
- coconut sugar
For the coconut whipped cream:
- Full fat coconut milk (2 cans) – I’ve had a lot of luck recently with Thai Kitchen Organic Brand – almost the entire can is filled with thick, creamy coconut milk! We only want to use the thick part at the top. You can save the remaining watery part for smoothies.
- Vanilla extract
- Pure maple syrup (I also get this at Costco.)
If you make this Paleo Strawberry Shortcake, make sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations! Looking for some other healthier summer desserts? Check out these Paleo Key Lime Pie Cheesecake Bars or Paleo Berry Crisp!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, room temperature (solid but slightly softened)
- 2 tsp baking powder, look for gluten free
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk - solid part only, Reserve remaining liquid for another use like smoothies.
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Scoop the solid white part out from each can of coconut milk and add it to a metal mixing bowl. Place the bowl into the freezer for 30-45 minutes while you make the biscuits and filling.
- Combine the strawberries and coconut sugar in a bowl and place it into the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all of the biscuit ingredients and mix well using a fork. Scoop it into 6 balls and press down slightly to create round disks (about 3 inches wide and 1 inch deep). Bake for 18 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits have cracked and the middles are cooked through.
- Take the bowl of coconut cream out of the freezer and whip it using a hand mixer. It took about 3 minutes to get it to a good consistency. Add in the vanilla and maple syrup and whip it again until combined.
- Cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Place the bottom half on a plate and top it with some strawberries and whipped cream. Add the top of the biscuit followed by more strawberries and whipped cream. Enjoy!