Growing up, my mom’s mac and cheese recipe was one of my FAVORITE things, ever. It was so simple, yet so delicious with the deep cheddar flavor and crumbled Ritz crackers on top. I wanted to re-create a gluten free/healthier version for us to enjoy and I think this turned out great! I used brown rice pasta, raw cheddar, and crumbled crushed Siete grain free nacho tortilla chips on top. If you’re a mac and cheese lover like me, you should probably go make this right now. You won’t be sorry 🙂 This definitely is not Whole30 compliant, but sometimes we all need a little cheese in our lives, AmIright?!
Gluten Free Homestyle Mac & Cheese
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter (I like Kerrygold)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch/flour
- 2 cups organic milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz raw cheddar cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 12 oz brown rice pasta (or gluten free pasta of choice - feel free to use regular if you're not avoiding gluten!)
- 10-15 Siete grain free tortilla chips, crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a medium sized casserole dish (I used a 3.5 qt dish).
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Heat butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted, add in arrowroot powder and stir vigorously until it starts to bubble. Slowly pour in milk while continuing to stir. Continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture thickens, about 5-10 minutes. Add in salt, pepper, and cheese cube. Stir until cheese is melted in about 5 more minutes. Set on low.
- Add pasta to greased casserole dish, and pour cheese sauce over top. Mix to combine. Add crushed chips on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Enjoy!