Dairy Free Instant Pot Cajun Pasta (Gluten Free)
This Dairy Free Instant Pot Cajun Pasta is a simple gluten free meal that comes together in less than 20 minutes from start to finish! It is incredibly creamy and decadent. The perfect healthier comfort food!
Tonight I had no plan for dinner, and decided to scour the fridge and pantry. I found a sugar-free kielbasa and a box of Jovial Foods gluten free penne, and then this idea came to me. I bet I could make an incredible Creamy Cajun Pasta using a cashew cream sauce. And…in the Instant Pot to make for the easiest meal ever! I’ve been experimenting with cooking pasta in the Instant Pot lately, and it couldn’t be easier.
How do you cook pasta in the Instant Pot?
As mentioned, I used Jovial Foods gluten free penne for this recipe. The cooking time on the box says 12 minutes. The rule of thumb when it comes to cooking any pasta in the Instant Pot is to cut the time in half, and minus two minutes. 12 minutes / 2 = 6 mins minus 2 mins = 4 mins of cooking time. This resulted in PERFECT, al dente penne. You can use any type of pasta you want for this, but please be aware I haven’t tested it with chickpea pasta or any other type!
How do you make this on this stove?
To make this one-pot meal on the stove, simply heat the oil in a large pot or skillet. Add in the sausage and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the spices, pasta, broth, and an additional 1/2 cup of water. Cook according to pasta package directions for timing, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cashew cream at the end.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Dairy Free Instant Pot Cajun Pasta?
The ingredient list may look long, but it’s only because of the spices! This combo of spices makes an incredible homemade Creole seasoning. I use it in my Shrimp and Grits and Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup, as well!
- Any cajun or smoked sausage will work with this. I used Pederson’s Farms kielbasa which I found at Sprouts.
- Pasta – I love Jovial Foods gluten free pasta. It holds up well and tastes like the real thing! I would suggest using smaller cuts of pasta in the Instant Pot vs spaghetti.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano, thyme, paprika, and cayenne pepper. You can omit the cayenne completely if you don’t like spice!
- Cashews – It’s important to use raw, unsalted cashews. They do not need to be soaked if you have a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix!)
*Optional add-ins: I think this would be amazing with some roasted onions and peppers. I would not suggest adding them to the Instant Pot, as I feel like they would get mushy.
If you make this Dairy Free Instant Pot Cajun Pasta, be sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations!
This is the perfect comfort food during this crazy quarantine. I hope you love it!!
*This page contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Dairy Free Instant Pot Cajun Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 14 oz. package Smoked Sausage or Kielbasa , cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 12 oz box Jovial Foods Gluten Free Penne Pasta, or pasta of choice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, omit for less heat
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in boiling water for 30 mins. No need to soak if you have a high-powered blender!
- 1/2 cup water
- pressure cooker
- Press the "saute" button on the Instant Pot and add the oil. After it heats up, add in the sausage rounds. Saute them for 3-4 minutes. Add in the pasta, the broth, and the spices. Give everything a good stir. The broth should mostly cover everything.
- Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.*
- While the Instant Pot comes to pressure, make the cashew cream. Add the cashews and water to a high-powered blender, and blend for 1 minute or until very creamy and smooth.
- When the Instant Pot timer goes off, manually release the steam. Open the lid and stir in the cashew cream. Taste it and adjust seasonings to your liking (add salt, a little more cayenne, etc). Serve with fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!