Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
These Cheesy Mashed Potatoes are creamy, fluffy and loaded with 3 different types of cheese! They are easy to make and the perfect gluten free side dish for all of your holiday gatherings.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What Makes This Recipe Great
This recipe combines two of my favorite foods- potatoes, and lots of CHEESE! What could be better than combining the two? These cheesy mashed potatoes are simple to make and customizable depending on what type of cheese you like to eat. This gluten free side is totally irresistible and will have you coming back for seconds every time! These potatoes are perfectly fluffy, buttery, and flavorful thanks to the sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar, and parmesan. You have the option to serve as-is, or bake to get that twice-baked mashed potato vibe. This recipe is great for potlucks and holidays because it makes 8 or more servings, and you can easily prep it ahead of time!
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Recipe Highlights
- Simple to make
- Packed with flavor
- Gluten Free
- Creamy and delicious
- The best cheesy mashed potato recipe out there!
Potatoes: I’ve found that Russet are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes. They create gluten free mashed potatoes that have a creamy, fluffy texture. You can, however, use any type of potato you want. I remove the skins, but you also have the option to leave them on and mash them up with everything else. I recommend cutting them into chunks vs small pieces so they absorb less water.
Butter: Salted works best here.
Half & Half: You can also use whole milk or milk of choice.
Sour cream: This adds to the creamy consistency of these cheese mashed potatoes.
Shredded cheddar: I like to hand-grate the cheese so it melts easier. You can also buy pre-shredded cheddar if you want to.
Parmesan: Fresh grated works best!
Cream cheese: Regular or reduced fat cream cheese will work.
Spices and salt / pepper: I recommend starting with 1.5 tsp and adding more after tasting. Garlic powder, salt, and pepper is all you need for this cheesy potato mash.
- Add your potato chunks to a large pot and fill with water to cover them.
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, parmesan and 1.5 cups cheddar to a bowl. Set aside the remaining half cup cheddar.
- Use a fork to mix them together until creamy.
- Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot with the butter, spices, and half & half.
- Use a potato mashed to gently mash the potatoes while the butter melts.
- Add in the cheese mixture.
- Fold it in using a spatula until combined. Do not over-mix, or your cheesy mashed potatoes will become gummy.
- Transfer to a 3-qt baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. I like to add some orange cheddar on top for color.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Mary’s Tips & Tricks
Don’t over-mix! It’s easy for potatoes to become gummy if you mix them too much. I like to leave mine a little chunky – personal preference.
Variations: Feel free to make these your own. Add bacon on top! Swap cream cheese for goat cheese, use half gruyere, half cheddar, etc. Add more garlic powder or fresh roasted garlic to make these garlic cheesy mashed potatoes. The world is your oyster – I’m just here to give you a general guideline on how to make these!
Making ahead: You can prep the cheesy mashed potatoes and add them to the casserole dish. Refrigerate for up to 48 hours before baking. Make sure to pull them out of the fridge about 15 minutes before you plan to bake them and add the 1/2 cup cheddar right before baking.
Yes! To freeze, I recommend following the directions up until you transfer the potatoes into the casserole dish. Tightly cover and freeze for up to 2 months. To bake, thaw in the fridge overnight, top with cheese, and bake as directed.
Yes, potatoes are naturally gluten free and safe for those with Celiac disease.
You really can’t go wrong when it comes to adding cheese to mashed potatoes. I prefer the combo used in this recipe, but goat cheese, chive cream cheese, gruyere, or swiss would also be delicious!
I hope you love this Cheesy Mashed Potatoes recipe as much as we do!
Other Delicious Gluten Free Potato Recipes
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, about 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup half & half
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Add your potatoes to a large pot and fill to cover them with water. Bring the pot to a boil, then cook the potatoes over medium high heat for 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain and return them to the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 3-qt casserole dish.
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, parmesan, and 1.5 cups of the cheddar cheese to a bowl and mix until combined. Set the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar aside for the topping.
- Add the butter, half and half, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the potatoes. Use a potato masher to mash them until combined.
- Fold in the cheese mixture half at a time, stirring gently. Do not over-mix, or your potatoes may turn into a gummy texture!
- Transfer the potatoes to the casserole dish and spread out evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake for 25 minutes until the top is beginning to brown.
- Add parsley or chives for garnish, if desired, and enjoy!