These Whole30 Carne Asada Bowls are the perfect meal for grilling out this summer! They are made with marinated and grilled Australian Grassfed flank steak, which is SO easy to make!
*Thank you to True Aussie Beef & Lamb for sponsoring this post!
I am so excited to be partnering with my friends over at True Aussie Beef & Lamb to bring you this Whole30 Carne Asada Bowls recipe! This is the perfect meal for kicking off grilling season and summer! This marinated and grilled Australian grassfed flank steak is incredibly easy to make. The marinade is packed with real ingredients like lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, jalapeño, and cumin.
Why Should I Use Australian Grassfed Beef?
Australia produces some of the highest quality, healthiest, and most nutritious beef and lamb in the world. They keep care for both the animals and the environment at the core of everything they do. Which is why I am proud to be working with them!
With cattle raised on pasture, Australian grassfed beef products are lean and naturally contain 13 essential nutrients required for good health, including Iron, Zinc, Omega-3 and B vitamins. Grassfed beef is naturally leaner, and it tends to cook about 30% faster than traditional meat.
Click here to find out where you can find Aussie Grassfed Beef & Lamb near you! It’s sold at Giant, Safeway, and Weis Market near me.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make these Whole30 Carne Asada Bowls?
The options are endless when it comes to how to eat this Carne Asada. Here I use it in a bowl, but you can also make Street Tacos with it or just eat the steak with your sides of choice.
I used a 2 lb Australian Grassfed flank steak for this recipe. Skirt steak will work as well. It was approximately 3/4 inch – 1 inch thick.
For the marinade you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- chopped cilantro
- chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- coconut aminos
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt
For the bowls I used:
- My Coconut Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms (Just tossed them with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted for 20-25 minutes at 425).
- Avocado, diced
- Jalapeños, sliced
- Limes for squeezing
And if you’re making tacos, I highly recommend Siete grain free tortillas!
How Long Should I Marinate and Grill the Carne Asada?
I marinated the flank steak for approximately 4 hours. You can also do overnight – but I recommend 3-4 hours minimum for maximum flavor! I used a sealed plastic bag, but you can also place it in a dish (just ensure the beef is covered with the marinade and flip halfway through).
In terms of grilling, these are the times that worked for me:
5 mins per side = rare
6 mins per side = medium rare
7 mins per side = medium
8 mins per side = medium well
9-10 minutes per side = well done
It all depends on how well you like your steak to be cooked! We enjoyed the 7 mins per side the most (pictured below):
If you make these Whole30 Carne Asada Bowls, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Have a safe and fun weekend!
Whole30 Carne Asada Bowls
- 2 lbs Australian grassfed flank steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Additional Bowl Ingredients
- 4 cups Coconut Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- sliced jalapeno
- limes for squeezing
- Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Marinate the flank steak for 3-4 hours minimum (or overnight). Heat a grill over medium high heat. Remove the flank steak and discard any remaining marinade. Cook the steak for 7 minutes each side for medium. If you prefer medium rare steak, do 6 minutes. For medium well, do 8 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve in bowls or tacos!
Roasted Veggies (if using)
- Preheat your oven to 425. Toss the roasted veggie ingredients together in a bowl. Spread the vegetables out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the peppers, onions, and mushrooms are tender and starting to get brown and crispy. Serve with the carne asada, cauliflower rice, and other desired toppings.