Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
These Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas are one of my all-time favorite foods. They are paleo, Whole30, and Keto! I love this recipe because you can throw all of the ingredients into a large zip-lock bag the night before, and empty it into the crock pot in the morning and go about your day! I like using a leaner cut of meat like a pork loin, but feel free to use a 4-5 lb pork shoulder or butt if that’s what you have. Just try to trim some of the fat first. This is a great Whole30 option and very versatile – I like to make a big batch on Sunday and use throughout the week on salads and bowls.
I always use heritage breed pork from Butcher Box – They deliver quality meat straight to your doorstep (monthly or bi-monthly) and you can create a custom box based on your preferences! Use this link to get free bacon and $10 off your first order!
Here I served the carnitas in Siete Foods Cashew flour tortillas with pickled onions, cilantro cream sauce, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salsa! You can get creative and serve these in rice bowls, taco salads, etc.
You can also make these easily using the Instant Pot. Just cut the meat into chunks first.
The broiling at the end is optional, but I definitely think it makes a huge difference. It gives the pork a nice crispy texture.
*This recipe contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Slow-Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 1 2.5-3 lb pork loin roast, or 4-5 lb pork shoulder with fat trimmed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tbsp Frank's Red Hot, or other compliant hot sauce of choice
- 1 cup chicken broth, make sure to check labels for no sugar/additives if doing Whole30
- Add pork to Crock Pot. Mix all spices in a bowl until well-combined and rub all over the pork.
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, and chicken broth to cover/surround the pork.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- When there is 1 hour remaining, shred the pork using 2 forks to give it time to absorb all of the juices.
- Remove shredded pork and move to a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil for 8-10 minutes, keeping a close eye on it to ensure it doesn't burn. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Cut meat into large chunks (about 3-4 inches wide). Add all ingredients to Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 30 mins, slow release for 15, then shred using two forks. Follow same instructions above for broiling!