This Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is a super easy and delicious appetizer that is gluten free and dairy free! It’s perfect for game day or serving at your next gathering. This dip is Whole30 and Paleo, too!
A good buffalo chicken dip is my love language. This dip has tender shredded chicken, perfect creamy consistency, and just the right amount of heat. One of my pet peeves about quick paleo cooking is that recipes often call for x amount of “pre-cooked shredded chicken”. Who has good quality pre-cooked chicken just lying around? All of the rotisserie chickens in stores near me are made with lots of not-so-great ingredients like MSG, corn starch, and gluten. As far as I know, Whole Foods is the only store that sells Whole30 compliant rotisserie chicken.
The great thing about this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is that the chicken breasts get cooked with the buffalo sauce, ghee, and spices. So, all you have to do is plop them into the pot. That’s it! It couldn’t be easier. I love getting my chicken breasts from Butcher Box. Their chicken is 100% organic and is the best tasting chicken I’ve ever had! You can click here to check them out and get a special deal on your first box.
This recipe also doubles as a really quick and easy way to make shredded buffalo chicken for salads, bowls, etc. So great for meal prep! Simply follow the first steps before combining it with the cream cheese and ranch dressing.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- Chicken breasts (obviously) – you can use boneless, skinless thighs if you prefer!
- Frank’s Red hot or hot sauce of choice
- Ghee – I love 4th and Heart brand and I get it on Thrive Market
- Paprika, Salt & Garlic Powder
- Kite Hill Cream Cheese – This is an almost milk-based dairy free cream cheese. The ingredients are Whole30 compliant, but some say that it is considered to be SWYPO. I will let you decide what works best for you!
- Ranch dressing – I love Tessemae’s Whole30 compliant version!
You can use an 8×8 or 10×7 inch baking dish for this dip. A 9×13 is going to be too large! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make this in the oven. It will require pre-cooked shredded chicken.
How do I make quick shredded chicken?
It’s SO easy! Simply bring your chicken breasts to a boil in a large pot of water. Cover and remove from the heat. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Shred, and you’re done!
How do I make this in the Slow Cooker?
Simply combine the hot sauce, ghee, chicken breasts, and spices in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours then shred the chicken. Add in the cream cheese and ranch. You have the option to heat it for a few minutes and leave as-is, or you can transfer to a baking dish and bake until bubbling per directions below.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip (Whole30, Paleo)
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts can also sub boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead. I used 3 breasts.
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot or preferred hot sauce
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz Kite Hill Almond Milk Cream Cheese* See below for a nut free alternative
- 1/2 cup Tessemae's Ranch dressing
- Preheat your oven to 375. Pour the hot sauce and ghee into the instant pot. Place the chicken breasts on top in an even layer, making sure not to overlap if possible. Sprinkle the paprika, salt, and garlic powder on top of the chicken. Lock the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure and shred the chicken breasts using two forks (or a stand mixer). You can do this directly in the pot, or move the chicken to a cutting board. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and toss with the buffalo sauce. Stir in the cream cheese and the ranch dressing, then pour into a 8 x 8 (or 10 x 7) casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the dip is hot and the sides are bubbling. Serve with veggies, Siete chips, or Simple Mills crackers.
Bake Only - No Instant Pot
- To use pre-cooked chicken, simply combine 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken with all of the ingredients. Pour into a casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- To make just shredded buffalo chicken, simply follow the first steps until you are done shredding the chicken. Serve on wraps, on salads, or in bowls with cauliflower rice, tomatoes, cucumbers, and ranch!