Cauliflower Gnocchi with Butternut Squash “Cheese” Sauce
I don’t eat too many 100% plant-based meals, but I am trying to incorporate more veggies/less meat every now and then! This meal was one of those that tasted so good – you honestly would never know it was dairy, gluten, and grain-free.
We all know how much I love the cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe’s – I am always experimenting and trying out new ways to cook it/enjoy it. This may just be one of my new favorites.
The butternut cashew sauce can be used on so many different things – you will definitely have leftovers from this recipe, but don’t worry – it will last for up to 3 days in the fridge! Dip veggies in it, pour it over some GF pasta or veggie pasta, etc.
It makes me sad that so many people end up with mushy gnocchi – The key to cooking it is to NOT follow the package directions! Simply heat some ghee or olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat and add in the frozen gnocchi. Cover and let it cook (without touching it) for 3-4 mins. Then saute until browned. Make sure you use a non-stick pan (I use a ceramic one – NO TEFLON!) – this is super important!
Cauliflower Gnocchi with Butternut Squash "Cheese" Sauce
- 2 bags Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee, replace with olive oil if vegan
- 1 14.5 oz can Pureed butternut squash, I get this at Trader Joe's - you can also use 2 cups cubed roasted squash if you don't have this.
- ½ cup cashews, no need to soak!
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 8 sage leaves, optional
- 2 tbsp vegan ricotta, optional
Butternut Squash "Cheese" Sauce
- Add pureed squash, cashews, water, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, and paprika to a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix). Blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute until extremely smooth. Set aside.
- Heat ghee & olive oil in a large non-stick pan (I use ceramic) over medium high heat. Add both bags of FROZEN gnocchi. Cover and let them cook (untouched) for 3-4 minutes. Check to ensure they are beginning to brown on the bottom. Flip and stir for an additional 3-4 minutes until cooked through and evenly browned.
- Add desired amount of sauce to the pan, reduce heat, and stir to heat the sauce 1-2 mins. If using the sage as garnish, fry pieces in a tiny bit of ghee over med high heat for 1-2 mins. Serve gnocchi topped with sage and Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese. Enjoy!