Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers
These Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers are a paleo version of classic stuffed peppers with a Mexican twist! They are stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, taco seasoning, and cauliflower rice. I like to top mine with dairy free sour cream and cilantro. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
Classic stuffed peppers are my love language. I love the ground beef/rice mixture and Italian flavors. With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I thought it would be fun to put a little Mexican spin on the traditional recipe, and make it Whole30 and Paleo-friendly!
We start by putting the peppers in a bit of water and roasting them for 15 minutes while making the filling. This allows them to soften.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make these Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers?
- Ground beef! I like to get mine from Butcher Box!
- Cauliflower rice – I get the 16 oz bags from Costco.
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder
- Canned tomato sauce
- Rotel or diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 6 peppers – any color you want
- Whole30 Sour Cream
- Cheese, if you like!
You can really add whatever toppings you would like depending on whether you tolerate dairy or not! I added some fresh jalapeños, lactose free sour cream, and cilantro. My Whole30 Sour Cream is a delicious option as well!
Cinco de Mayo is going to look a bit different this year, since we can’t have our annual neighborhood party. We still plan on celebrating here as a family and doing taco and margarita night! I can’t wait to have my Paleo Jalapeño Margaritas, which I have now deemed the official cocktail of quarantine 🙂
If you make these Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers, be sure to tag me on Instagram @maryswholelife so I can see your creations! I appreciate you guys making and sharing my recipes – it truly means the world!
I hope you are staying safe and healthy.
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you use one of these links to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers, any color
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb frozen cauliflower rice , I get the 16 oz bags of it at Costco
- 1 10 oz can Rotel , or diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- desired toppings (sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, red onion, etc), optional
- Preheat the oven to 400. Cut the tops off of the peppers and scoop out the seeds/membranes. Place the peppers cut side down in a baking pan with 1/2 inch of water. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and ground beef. Saute for 5-7 minutes, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until mostly browned. Add in the frozen cauliflower rice and stir for 4-5 additional minutes until it begins to soften. Add in the rotel (or diced tomatoes) and spices. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Keep on low until the peppers are out of the oven.
- Remove the peppers and dump out any remaining water in the pan. Add 1/2 of the tomato sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it out with a spoon. Fill each pepper with some of the filling and place them back into the casserole dish (cut side up). Top each pepper with some of the remaining tomato sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Add cheese at this point (if desired), then continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes uncovered.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!