Usually I am a savory breakfast type of person, but sometimes I like a warm bowl of GF oatmeal or this grain-free “n’oatmeal” – especially on a cold winter morning! There’s a few grain free/paleo “oatmeal” recipes out there now which are made without oats – just from a combination of fruit, nuts, and nut milk or coconut milk. I decided to create my own version using one of my most favorite nuts- macadamias! While these can be on the expensive side, I like to buy a bag from Trader Joe’s (for $8.99 I believe) and keep them in the freezer to pop as a special “treat”/snack. If you don’t have any on hand, you can certainly sub in another type of nut of choice.
And yes- I know what you are thinking. If you are doing a Whole30, this is probably considered “swypo”, but I am rolling with it. Especially doing this Whole30 while pregnant. Often times I will have this alongside some bacon or eggs as well, to make it a complete breakfast. In my opinion, it’s no different than having a banana with some almond butter (plus some other added benefits like the flax, chia, coconut milk, etc) – so, you be the judge!
In terms of ingredients, when it comes to coconut milk, this is my favorite brand: Native Forest Simple Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashews
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 1 pitted date
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Combine the 3 types of nuts in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them soak for 30 mins - 1 hour. (or overnight if you want to save time)
- Drain nuts and combine with all other ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Heat over medium heat for a few minutes or microwave until desired temperature is reached. Top with fresh fruit or more nuts. Enjoy!