Whole30 Maryland Crab Soup
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
What better way to ring in the new year than with a new recipe for Whole30 Maryland Crab Soup + 4 other mouth-watering Whole30 friendly soup recipes?! I’ve partnered up with 4 of my favorite real food bloggers to bring you a roundup of delicious soups which are perfect for your January Whole30 (or any time of year)!
Maryland Crab Soup by yours truly (scroll to the bottom for recipe)
Kimchi Soup by Erica & Justin over at Real Simple Good
Turkey Meatball and Zoodle Soup from Michele at Paleo Running Momma
Zuppa Toscana from Jessica at Real Food with Jessica
Whole30 Maryland Crab Soup (Scroll down for recipe)
I wouldn’t say I am technically “from” Maryland since I was born and raised on the south shore of Massachusetts until I was 12, but I have lived in MD for the better part of the last 22 years! And Maryland Blue Crabs hold a special place in my heart. I personally find the whole crab picking thing a bit labor-intensive, but certainly fun to do once a year. I prefer a lump crab cake or some delicious Maryland Crab Soup! This tomato-based soup typically has peas, corn, worcestershire sauce (which has gluten), and most likely non-compliant beef broth…so I decided to clean up the ingredients a bit for our January Whole30! And it turned out so flavorful and delicious, if I do say so myself. Whether you’re from here or not, you gotta try this!
I used Bonafide Provisions beef bone broth when I made this soup, but you can use any compliant brand you like. It can be found in the freezer section at many stores (MOM’s Organic Market, Whole Foods, Walmart, Wegmans – check the store locator on their site for places near you). It can be trickier to find compliant beef broth as opposed to chicken broth on the Whole30. Some other compliant brands are Bare Bones broth, Osso Good Bone Broth, Kettle & Fire Bone Broth.
ok, on to the others!
Kimchi Soup by Real Simple Good – Find the recipe here!
Turkey Meatball and Zoodle Soup by Paleo Running Momma – Find the recipe here!
Zuppa Toscana from Real Food with Jessica – Find the recipe here!
Thai Chicken Zoodle Soup from Wholesomelicious – Find the recipe here!
And if you haven’t started your Whole30 Journey yet, but you’ve been thinking about it/planning on it, make sure to check out my post on How to Prepare for your Whole30! Happy cooking!!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Whole30 Maryland Crab Soup
- 1 lb fresh lump crab meat
- 4 cups compliant beef broth, I used Bonafide Provisions. Make sure to check labels for sugar, colorings, additives, etc.
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1.5 tbsp Primal Palate New Bae seasoning, + more if you like heat! You can also use Old Bay
- 1 tsp ground mustard, this is a powder and can be found in the seasoning aisle!
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients (except crab) into a large stock pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the crab meat, cover, and simmer on medium low for 1 - 1.5 hours. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients except for crab meat into the Instant Pot. Lock the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. Manually release the pressure. Remove lid and turn to "saute" mode. Add the crab meat and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the crab is warmed through. Serve and enjoy!