Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
A Whole30 and paleo version of the classic sausage, potato, and kale soup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 pieces sugar free bacon
- 1 lb pork sausage Turkey sausage will work as well
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes leave skins on or remove- up to you
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (if you don't have this, do 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp oregano)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups kale stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 can coconut milk We are only going to use the hardened part of coconut milk that rises to the top of the can. I like Native Forest brand.
You can make the bacon ahead of time using my fool-proof baked method, or make it in the instant pot. To do this, chop up the raw bacon. Set the pot to "saute" and add the bacon pieces. Cook until crispy and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
If you did not cook the bacon in the IP, add 1 tbsp cooking oil/ghee. If you did cook the bacon in the pot, use the rendered bacon fat to saute the sausage. Add the sausage, garlic, and onions to the pot and saute for 4-5 mins until cooked through and the onions are opaque.
Hit the "cancel" button and add in the chicken broth, sweet potatoes, and seasonings. Lock the lid, turn the vent to sealing, and set to "manual" high pressure for 12 minutes.
When done, manually release the pressure (carefully!). Add the kale and stir until wilted. Add 1 cup of coconut cream (the hardened/solidified coconut milk that rises to the top of the can) and stir until melted. Serve with crumbled bacon on top and enjoy!
Crock Pot/ Slow Cooker
Make bacon ahead of time using my fool-proof baked method or saute in a pan, drain, crumble, and set aside.
Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp cooking fat (or if you cooked bacon in the pan, just use the bacon fat. Add the sausage, onions, and garlic and cook 5-7 mins until the sausage is browned and the onions are opaque.
Place the sausage mixture into the crock pot along with the chicken broth, sweet potatoes, and seasonings. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Stir in the kale until wilted, and add in the coconut cream and stir until melted. Serve with crumbled bacon on top and enjoy!