Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all of the flavors of the classic comfort food casserole! It's dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and Whole30. I've included a Keto option, as well!
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 large russett potato (or 2 small - should be about 2 cups diced), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp sherry cooking wine, omit for Whole30
- 1.5 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cashew Cream * (see nut free option below)
Hit the "saute" button on your Instant Pot. Add in the tbsp of cooking fat (ghee or olive oil). Add in the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces, potatoes, green beans, chicken broth, sherry, and spices/herbs. Give everything a good stir. Lock the lid, turn the vent to "sealing", and cook on "manual" high pressure for 12 minutes.
While it's coming to pressure, make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with 1/2 cup of water. Blend on high for 1 minute or until VERY thick and creamy.
Once the soup is done, manually release the pressure. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. It should be very tender! Add in the cashew cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!
Heat cooking fat in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften. Add in remaining soup ingredients (except cashew cream). Stir. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes until vegetables have softened and chicken is cooked through. While it's simmering, make your cashew cream using directions above. Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot. Add your cashew cream and stir. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and an extra drizzle of sherry, if desired. Enjoy!
Add all of the ingredients (minus the cashews and water) to your slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Shred the chicken right in the pot. Combine the cashews and water in your blender and blend on high for 1 minute. Right before you are ready to serve, add the cashew cream and stir well. Stirring on high heat for a few minutes will help it to thicken up. Serve and enjoy!
- If you aren’t able to have cashews, you can sub in 1 cup of coconut cream (or just use the thickened part on the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk).
- You can sub a bag of Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi instead of potatoes for more of a chicken and dumplings type soup! Simply add the bag of frozen gnocchi to the pot after shredding the chicken. Cook it on saute function in the Instant pot for 3-4 minutes or until it's heated through (or for a few minutes for stove top). Serve and enjoy!
- To make this soup Keto, omit the potatoes. You can also sub in radishes or cauliflower.
Calories: 506kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 46g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 118mg, Sodium: 2287mg, Potassium: 1579mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 8039IU, Vitamin C: 38mg, Calcium: 96mg, Iron: 5mg