Gluten Free Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing (Dairy Free)
This Gluten Free Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing is the perfect side dish to serve at all of your Thanksgiving festivities! It’s also dairy free, soy free and totally delicious!
*Thank you to Canyon Bakehouse for sponsoring this post!
Stuffing is arguably one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. I love topping it with copious amounts of gravy! Growing up, my mom always added sausage to our stuffing. It’s the best paired with the sweetness from the apples! You’d never know this stuffing is gluten free, dairy free, and soy free.
What You Need To Make This Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing:
- 1 loaf Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Bread – this is my all-time favorite gluten free bread!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- flat leaf parsley
- thyme sprigs
- fresh rosemary
- fresh sage leaves
You can also feel free to add in some dried cranberries before baking!
How to Make This Gluten Free Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing:
First, cut your bread into cubes. Add them to a baking sheet and toast them in at 325 degree oven for 10 minutes. Add them to a large bowl. Beat the two eggs in a bowl and set aside. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the sausage for 5-7 minutes or until its cooked through. Remove the sausage using a slotted spoon and add it to the bowl with the bread. Add the ghee, celery, onion, apple, garlic, and herbs to the pan (along with any remaining grease from the sausage). Stir for 7-8 minutes until the onion and celery are very soft. Add in the chicken broth and stir. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the bread and sausage. Pour the egg over top. Mix everything together well, without over-stirring.
Pour it into the baking dish and use a spatula to even it out. Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 375. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve, and enjoy!
Can You Make This Stuffing Ahead of Time?
I would advise against making this ahead of time – it will get pretty soggy! What you can do is chop all of your veggies/apples and herbs and bake your bread chunks ahead of time so they are ready to go when it’s time to cook! You can even brown the sausage ahead of time.
Looking for some other dishes to make this thanksgiving? Check these out:
If you try this Gluten Free Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing, make sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!
And if you try it and LOVE it, a rating and review on this post would mean the world!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you use one of my links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Mary’s Whole Life!
Gluten Free Sausage Apple Herb Stuffing
- 1 loaf Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- ⅓ cup ghee
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325. Add your bread cubes to a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl. Bump the oven temp up to 375. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until completely browned and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage to the bowl with the bread.
- In the same pan, melt the ghee. Add in the onions, celery, apples, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Saute for 7-8 minutes or until the onions, celery, and apples are very tender. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine. Pour the mixture over the bread and sausage in the bowl. Pour the beaten eggs on top. Mix everything together well (without over-mixing).
- Transfer it into the casserole dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve, and enjoy!